TechSpot

Can't hear anything after recording

By Tha General
Jun 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Using onboard audio, and the recorder that came with it, and when i record, i save the file and i don't hear anything. I have something called: 8-channel (7.1) high-definition, by realtek.

I gather a sound card will fix this problem, but why isn't onboard working with recording?
  2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,366   +167

"You can't hear anything" meaning ONLY a recorded file? You mean you can hear other stuff?

You're running Vista, if i recall?

Here's a couple things to know (
    1) In Vista, look in the Sound Control Panel. Under Advanced Properties (for at least the microphone if not both microphone and speakers) Look for a check box option about "Allow exclusive use" and make sure it is unchecked (otherwise the first app that comes along can grab the mic and/or speakers and prevent other apps from using it)

2) Check your audio playback device setting. Here's an easy way to change it

/* EDIT */
    And do you know if it;s a mic recording or a playback issue? can you play the recorded file on anything else?
  3. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,225

Yea vista32bit. I manage to fix it, it wasn't because of the allow exclusive option, it was this:

[​IMG]

I had to show disable devices and turn on stereo mix. Guess i still have stuff to learn about vista haha.

Thanks for the help.
  4. LookinAround

Me too! So thanks for that info

But one question: Do you really need to display disable devices (not that that it hurts to do so)

As it appears Stereo Mix is a present device so i'm just guessing the fix was just a matter of setting stereo mix (and display disabled shouldn't make a difference?) just curious...
  5. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,225

Yes the device wouldn't have showed up if i didn't click on that option, guess it was hidden. aND yes to the second question. I am buying a sound card soon, so i am not going to use onboard anymore.

peace
  6. LookinAround

Ooops. My bad

I meant to say "Did you really need to display disconnected devices (not that that it hurts to do so)"
    => As Stereo Mix i guess musta been disabled but NOT unplugged (i.e. it wasn't disconnected)?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.