Can't install 64-bit Windows 7 from DVD

miami architect

Please help if you can. I had a previous 32 bit XP OS and I could not get the 64bit disk to do a clean install; it would reboot and get to the "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" but it would launch the existing XP OS instead. Bios is set correctly to read the first boot device from CD/DVD. Finally I tried to install the Win 7 32bit disk and it installed perfectly the first time; this is presently the OS on the PC desktop now. I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz (it is compatible for a 64 bit OS). Then I spent over an hour with Microsoft techs and they remotely checked everything, and it shows compatibility for 64 bit as a clean install (Windows Upgrade Advisor), but several boot ups failed in the same way starting the now new Win 7 32 bit; Microsoft tech conclusion - the disk may be defective. Well I got the new DVD replacement disk today and it is still failing at the same point. Any ideas or recommendations? I want to add more RAM and am at the limit with the 32 bit OS version. Thank you for any help.

Sounds to me like for whatever reason, your KB isn't working at the "press any key to boot from DVD" part. Try another KB. Try PS/2 if you have a USB one now, try USB if you have a PS/2 one (switch them up if at all possible).

SNGX1275,
Thanks for your input. I have tried on 2 different USB flash drives (even different manufacturers) to use Win 7 USB DVD download tool to copy the Win 7 and Win 8 iso files to boot from USB; each time at the end of the transfer/copy it states that all files where copied but failed to add the bootable info required to make it a bootable. I also made a DVD using the same Win 7 USB DVD download tool for the preview version of Win 8 64 bit; this one came out perfect but when inserted and a reboot is performed I get the same problem as in the opening thread above. Something other than the motherboard (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz - it is compatible for a 64 bit OS) is blocking the 64 bit OS attempts. Any ideas?

kwspony,
I have 4.00 GB (2.75 GB usable) installed - this on the Win 7 32bit OS. I have 4 slots and wish to switch out 2 paired slots with 4GB each bringing me up to a total of 10GB (16GB max on my desktop); that is why I am so interested in changing to a Win 7 64bit OS.

Here are all the specs I have:

Visionman GMA-1A7800 AMD Gaming Computer

What It Is and Why You Need It!
Black Beauty AMD - ATI multimedia machine
Handsome case that's easy to open and upgrade
Athlon X2 4200+ and ATI graphics with HDMI lets you connect to you HDTV
ATI Hybrid Crossfire
What exactly is hybrid crossfire? Basically, this machine will combine the horsepower of the already powerful Radeon 3200 with the added Radeon 3650 offering massive performance at an actually affordable price! When surfing the net, the 3450 shuts off conserving power. When playing games… both GPUs are cranked up to full power allowing you to play the latest games in all their mind blowing graphical splendor.
Powerful Media Capability
This media system is the perfect hub to build out your living room. Visionman’s HDMI & DVI outputs make it a snap connect this system to your HDTV. There is a massive amount of expandability options, simply choose the TV tuner of your choice and you’re good to go. This machine also supports seamless Blu-Ray playback, just give us a call to get a custom quote and we can arrange to have a fully featured Blu-Ray player installed for, configured, and ready to go out the gate. Additionally, the 20X DVD burner allows you to burn your all your photos, videos, and data to a dual layer DVD… and label it as well! Lightscribe technology is your antidote to the Sharpie.

Features
ATI Hybrid Graphics Technology support
Experience the advanced ATI Hybrid Graphics Technology, with combination of onboard GPU and a single VGA card’s GPU to enable CrossFire. ATI Hybrid Graphics Technology is able to bring remarkable display performance on AMD platform, and also further to increase your overall system value.
PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Interface
PCI-E 2.0 doubles the bus standard's bandwidth from 2.5 Gbit/s to 5 Gbit/s, meaning a x32 connector can transfer data at up to 16 GB/s in each direction. PCI-E 2.0 also features improvements to the point-to-point data transfer protocol and its software architecture.
HDMI Interface
HDMI is latest High-Definition Multimedia Interface, which is able to provide up to 5Gb/s video transmitting bandwidth and also 8-channel high quality audio. Via transmitting uncompressed digital data, HDMI is able to reduce signal interference as transferring between digital and analog signal, seen and heard, direct from the source. In addition, HDMI is compatible with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), which allowing playback of Blu-ray/ HD DVD and other protected contents.
7.1+2 Channel High Definition Output
The ALC889A provides support for 7.1 sound playback, plus 2 channels of independent stereo output (multiple streaming) through the front panel stereo outputs.

Specifications
AMD64 X2 4200+ Dual Core Processor
2GB Dual Channel DDR2-800
Western Digital 250GB SATA-II Hard Drive
20X DVD-RW w/Lightscribe Technology
Hybrid CrossfireX Technology
ATI Radeon 3200 512MB Onboard Video
ATI Radeon 3450 512MB Discrete Video
Both ATI cards combined in Crossfire
22-in-1 Flash Media Reader
RAID 0/1 Capable
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN
1 x 1394a Firewire Port
1 x eSATA Port
4 x USB 2.0 Ports (Expandable to 12)
(1) x16 PCI-e / (1) x1 PCI-e / (2) PCI
Supports ATI Hybrid Crossfire
7.1 Channel High Definition Audio
HDMI or DVI Output Supported
HDCP Compliant
Standard VGA Output
S/PDIF Optical Audio Output
Dual BIOS Technology
Secret Overclocking BIOS (Ctrl + F1)
585 Watt Orion Power Supply
8.5” x 19.7” x 21.5”
Operating System Sold Separately

Specifications

Visionman GMA-1A7800 AMD Gaming Computer

Lifestyle: Gaming

Condition: New

Operating Systems: No OS

Total Memory: 2.0GB UP TO 16.0 GB MAX

Processor Brand: AMD

Processor Class: Athlon 64 X2

Processor Speed: 2.20GHz

Capacity: 250GB

Optical Drive Class: DVD±RW

Detailed Features

This Bundle Includes

AMD64 X2 4200+ CPU
Frustrated by staring at the hourglass icon as soon as you try to work on more than three programs at once, especially when you're working with digital media? Increase your performance with the AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual core processor. Work or play with multiple programs without any stalling or waiting. Dual-core technology is like having two processors, and two working together is better and faster than one working alone. Do more in less time with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor.

- Socket: AM2
- Cache: 1MB (512KB per Core)
- FSB: 2000MHz
- Frequency: 2.2Ghz

ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB Video Card
The ATI Radeon HD 3650 delivers a remarkable combination of DirectX 10 gaming performance and hardware processed 1080p video. Connect to big-screen TVs with HDMI including built-in 7.1 surround audio to enjoy Blu-ray and HD DVD movies. ATI Catalyst graphics configuration software manages the stunning visual effects for a premium Windows Vista experience.

- GPU: Radeon HD 3650
- Memory: 512MB DDR2
- Core Clock: 725Mhz
- Memory Clock: 1000Mhz
- DirectX 10
- OpenGL 2.0
- Hybrid Crossfire Enabled

Western Digital 250GB SATA-II Hard Drive
Visionman only uses the finest Western Digital hard drives for their systems. WD is known for the fastest, most reliable drives in the industry, rated for high performance uses.

- Capacity (GB): 250GB
- Speed: 7200RPM
- Interface: Serial ATA-II
- Cache: 8MB

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
Propelled by AMD’s 780G chipset, the Gigabyte MA69VM-S2 (rev. 1.0) supports high performance dual-channel DDR2 800 memory up to 8GB, SATA 3Gb/s with RAID, Gigabit LAN, and 8-channel high-def audio. This affordable MicroATX mainboard comes with an integrated ATI Radeon 3200-based graphics engine, and is ready for Windows Vista Premium.

- Socket: AM2+
- Chipset: AMD 780G
- Memory: 4 DIMMs DDR2-800
- Gigabit LAN
- HDMI Output
- Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

2GB High-Speed DDR2-800 Memory
When you need dependable memory, Visionman is here to help. We’ve partnered with Silicon Mountain Memory to offer the finest memory in the industry! Offering both rock solid reliability and stellar performance, Silicon Mountain Memory modules will stand the test of time. Guaranteed to be compatible with your system, and run under maximum duty cycles with no problems.

- Memory Size: 2GB (2 x 1GB)
- Memory Speed: DDR2-800
- Max RAM: 16GB ACCORDING TO MEMORY BOARD INFO

20X Dual-Layer DVDRW w/Lightscribe
One of the most versatile high-performance half-height internal drives Visionman has ever offered. This dual drive supports DVD+R / DVD-R / DVD+RW / DVD+R9(DL) / DVD-R9(DL) / DVD-RW / DVD-RAM / DVD-ROM / CD-R / CD-RW / CD-ROM formats.

- Type: Internal
- Color: Black
- Speed: 20x
- Features SMART-BURN, SMART-X, & VAS, Lightscribe

22-in-1 Media Card Reader
By providing you with easy access to all 4 media slots, this convenient 3.5" card reader is the ultimate solution for transferring images from your digital camera, music from a MP3 player and movies or still images from your DV camcorder to your computer.

I see no reason why it will not load win 7 64 bit. Your processer is compatibal.I have a Amd Athlon 64x2 6000 3.0 ghz. Yet before I installed win7 64 bit. I did a bios update. Other then that not really sure. I am hopping someone here my have a clue. I am going to do a little research. If I come up with anything I will let you know. Nice computer!!!!!

Cobalt006,

I was attempting to update the bios before I read your message; we are on the same path. I created a new problem now - I did not "Load Optimized Defaults" along with the updated bios from Gigabyte website. Upon reboot the monitor cannot find the HDMI signal (monitor connected to CPU with this) and now I have no monitor. I cleared the CMOS values by touching 2 pins for a few seconds with a metal screwdriver (as per motherboard manual); I get 1 beep upon reboot, which is probably fine, but the monitor does not find a signal. Now what? The monitor is an HP LP 2475w.

I feel that if I can get the monitor back online I will be able to access and return the CMOS values to factory defaults. Update the BIOS correctly and maybe then the 64 bit Win 7 disk will load. Again, thank you all for your assistance.

You have PCI video card install in there as well as. If I read right. If So try hooking your monitor that If you have not tried. Sounds Like your on board video was turned off on the bios update

One beep on startup means the ram did not refresh. In some bios. Just by the off chance. Try removeing them the putting them back in one at a time. To see if you can get the monitor back on line the way you have it hook up now. Sorry did not post this earlier just thought about it, Hopefully somebody else here will jump in with some thoughts.

Cobalt006,
Thanks a million, it worked - monitor and Win 7 32 bit is back up and running normally. I switched, as you suggested the monitor to the video card DVI as opposed to the HDMI of the motherboard. Now to see if after this it will do the 64 bit install ;-)

Success! After setting the BIOS to Optimized Defaults and changing the 1st Boot device to CD/DVD, as it was originally, it booted from the Win 7 64bit DVD. I could not have done it without the helpful knowledgeable people on this forum - thanks! I came very close to hurling it into my backyard canal ;-)

SNGX1275,
Thanks for your input. I have tried on 2 different USB flash drives (even different manufacturers) to use Win 7 USB DVD download tool to copy the Win 7 and Win 8 iso files to boot from USB; each time at the end of the transfer/copy it states that all files where copied but failed to add the bootable info required to make it a bootable. I also made a DVD using the same Win 7 USB DVD download tool for the preview version of Win 8 64 bit; this one came out perfect but when inserted and a reboot is performed I get the same problem as in the opening thread above. Something other than the motherboard (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz - it is compatible for a 64 bit OS) is blocking the 64 bit OS attempts. Any ideas?
I know you got it fixed. But I didn't mean your USB flash drive was the problem. I meant that when you get to the press any key to boot from DVD screen, if you pressed a key and then it didn't actually boot off the disk, then the KB wasn't working at that point in the boot process.
Since you were getting that screen, it was already attempting to boot off the DVD, otherwise that wouldn't have appeared. But if after pressing a key it didn't continue to boot, it didn't "hear" that key press. So I have no idea why/how you got it fixed eventually, but I guess that doesn't matter at this point.

The reason his win7 64 bit disk would not boot was, because his bios at the time only supported 32 bit os. (This is why his win7 32 bit install right away for him). So there forth when he tried to boot a install of a 64bit os it would by pass it. I had the same problem a while back. After doing a little research. Then talking with my computer tech at work. Was told I would need to do a bios update . In order to install a win7 64bit. After the update no problem installed perfectly.

Guess I still don't understand, it did the initial boot off disk, hence the "press any key" screen...

You know I never got that either. It took me a while to remember what I had to do to get win7 64 bit in mine,It has been 3 years sense I done my old HP. Which was a little harder, Due to the fact I had to go buy a bios chip for the board. Because Hp did not have the update. The bios that was on my board at the time was only geared for 32 bit bios. I am just happy that the computer I just bought now already came with win 7 64 bit.Same as you I may never understand it. But that was the info I got every time I talk to anyone about my problem at that time.

Here is what I think most probably happened, please note that I am a building architect, my expertise is not in IT. My initial computer build came without an OS; I used Win XP 32 bit some years ago as the initial OS. Even though I had inserted the DVD of Win 64 bit it would skip over it (many attempts and 2 official disks) - this even though I ran many compatibility tests and knew that my motherboard was 64 bit compatible - probably the initial OS in 32 bit had changed something in the BIOS to only accept 32 bit (this I leave to the tech experts). After changing the BIOS to Optimized Defaults and changing the 1st Boot device to CD/DVD it booted from the Win 7 64bit DVD (I did not have to update the BIOS to the most recent version). Anyone with a similar problem should Update or take the BIOS to Optimized Default and then try installing the 64 bit disk.

Yes this is what I was told. But Changing mine at the default settings. Made no difference. It was set for32 bit operating system. I had no choice but to upgrade the bios. But in your case you may be right. Beings your was more or less a custom build . My computer was store bought. Knowing How Hp sets there bios up with little or no settings. I would tend to believe this was my problem at the time. But on a good note changing the bios chip in my old hp was a good thing. Brought a hole new bios that I could change settings in if needed to.

Well all in all I am glad you got yours up and running. I know how computers can sometime be very annoying to say the least. There are times you just want to throw them threw a wall.

Back