Can't install any Windows OS on my PC

Hello guys,
Before 2 days i bought a new mother board: Gigabyte G41MT D3V (s775, DDR3, VGA) plus Corsair Value 4GB DDR3-1333 Ram Dimm + one MSI 1GB GDDR5 graphics card.Using those 3 things plus an older proccessor , power supply and hdd i made up a new pc. The problem is that when i'm trying to install windows 7 it normally says windows is loading files but after that, when Starting windows appears it just freezes and the logo doesn't move... so i can't install windows 7. I also tried to install windows xp pro sp3. well this time things are kinda better as xp os normally installs but still when i'm done with the installation progress and my pc restarts i get the logo and.. it freezes again.. the windows logo just won't move. in addition i checked my power supply, ram , graphics card , hdd , cpu using other pcs and all of them worked nicely so i'm pointing at the mobo.. what else could it be? and something more i 've noticed that my mobo supports dual channel memory but the one i bought is single channel.. idk if that has something to do about this.. just mentioning.if you need more info tell me ..

Welcome to TechSpot. :)

What processor are you using?

Have you checked the BIOS revision needed to run your processor with your motherboard? It could be that it requires an update in order to be fully compatible with your processor.

Also, did you clean the old thermal paste off of the processor when removing it from the old motherboard and put fresh paste on when you put it in the new one?

If you have, double check the cooler is located in position correctly, as it could be overheating and causing the crashing.

Are you just running the one stick of RAM?

Also, what is the make and model, and output (total in W) of the power supply, and the graphics card please?

Windows prob

Leeky thx for the reply :p

Well i downloaded the latest updates from the official gigabyte site and installed them using qflash.. a procces that bios recognizes a fat32 flash drive and updates the mobo version without the need of an OS .. that didn't help though as i experience the same prob.About the paste yeah i cleaned it and i put fresh one so i think that's ok too. the processor is intel core 2 duo if i'm not wrong at 2.66 ghz (not sure as i don't have the pc right here) but processor was tested using an older mobo with ddr2 memories and easily worked with winows xp.Well the power supply is an old one used for more than 5 years with a total of 1010 watt of a not well-known company and i don't remember the model right now :p (as i told u i can't access the pc right now)Though i connected a newer psu :chieftec A135 series APS-650C 650 watts and still, same problem so i think that this 1010 watt cpu is stilll ok.. I'm running the one stick of ram and the gpu is VGA PCI EX MSI R6770-MD1GD5 1GB DDR5 but i don't think that gpu is causing the problem as i tried without it (using mobos gpu) and still same freeze :D thx in advance.. oh and i double checked the cooler.

i found out that the psu is epsilon 1010 and here is a link to the processor i'm using: Intel® Pentium® D Processor 805
(2M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 533 MHz FSB) google it i can't post links yet :'(

If you are using XP or newer, check in BIOS > Advanced BIOS > Limit CPUID Max. to 3 is set to disabled.

Your motherboard's shipped revision was likely high enough to run every currently compatible CPU immediately. It sounds like its probably BIOS settings that are the issue.

The motherboard could of course be dud, so could the RAM. I'd download a copy of Memtest on another computer and burn it to disc, then boot from it (if it will) and run it overnight. You want at least 7 passes without a single error to discount RAM as the likely cause.

EDIT: I'd also check the temps in PC Health Status inside BIOS to confirm the CPU isn't too toasty.

Freeze immediately after boot.....during and after install.....additional to dud RAM or motherboard or bios (not video card as you tried without that), could be mouse, keyboard or drivers.

Best bet is to create bootable media containing a Linux loadable distro (e.g. ubuntu). With that, you can eliminate hardware problems entilrely (hopefully). If it works in Linux, you are looking at drivers for Win 7.

E.g. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ or http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download or http://knoppix.net/ If linux doesnt work, in addition you can borrow another mouse and keyboard and a blank HDD, and you can actually test just the motherboard, because everything else can be susbstituted.

Guys i checked all the parameters that you told me and all of them leaded to that frozen screen again.. I think i've tried all i could :p So i took the mobo with the processor , fan and dd3 memory back to the shop , using the guarantee , to check it out and fix the bios option that could possibly lead to crash..thank you for your help i'll let u know what caused the crash when i get it back ! :D

Unplug all other HD's, then wipe the target HD before install: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Re-installation. After install plug back in the other HD's and boot via BIOS Boot Order or one-time BIOS boot menu key. This keeps the HDs independent to come and go as you please.

Weird

Well guys i don' t really know how to explain this , but i swapped cores with another fully working pc and both worked great , so in a weird way gigabyte motherboard couldn't work with the pentium processor even if in site says that it supports it.. so i left it this way , both pcs are working great so both processors work just fine.. idk what it really was :p anyway thank you all for your help.

Hey guys I have new gigabyet motherboard with ddr3 2gb ram and older processor intel dual core 1.80 ghz I used windows 7 but I can't instal xp3 installation hangs on "setup is starting windows" please help me

Back