Can't install drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibanez765

Hi !

I can't instal display drivers on my Acer Aspire 5110 (5112), becouse I have lost my driver CD.
I have an ATI Mobility Radeon x1600. And Windows xp 64 bit.
I have downloaded the display drivers form the AMD/ATI website but the don't work. When I try to instal them, a window comes up and it says that I need to instal my Video driver before the Display driver. And I can't find the Video drivers anywhere on the Web.
When I open Device Manager I can't find ATI radeon x1600...There is only Standard VGA Adapter.
What should I do?

Thanks.

It doesn't work...it says ''Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or oparating system.''

I tryed everything now...Nothing works.
My computer wont detect any graphic drivers.
My friend said that my graphic card might be broken. How can I find out for sure?

Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Display
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

Well..... I'll also confirm some of the Everest Report data is odd as well (where Everest is reporting the wrong chipset. not sure i've ever seen it wrong like that before).

But forgetting that for the moment, let's do the following to find out for certain just what is or is not there (since you've already tried the driver from Acer site)
  1. The correct device name in Device Manager comes from having the correct driver
    • I believe you're simply seeing VGA in DevMgr as that's the name of XP's generic driver
    • Since XP is not finding the correct graphics driver for the adapter, XP supplies its own default driver
    • Rt click on the display adapter in DevMgr, select Properties. Click Details tab. Do you see a Device Instance ID? Keep that window in view so you can refer to it in next step
  2. Check if XP is reporting Problem Devices (and if any ID you saw step above might also occur in this step)
    • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
    • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
    • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
    • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post
    • Any problem device match the ID from step 1?
  3. Check if Acer provided a recovery partition on your hard drive
    They're typically hidden so you won't know unless we look. Do you get any response from holding down these two keys at same time? <Alt> and <F10>

Well..... I'll also confirm some of the Everest Report data is odd as well (where Everest is reporting the wrong chipset. not sure i've ever seen it wrong like that before).

But forgetting that for the moment, let's do the following to find out for certain just what is or is not there (since you've already tried the driver from Acer site)

Check if XP is reporting Problem Devices (and if any ID you saw step above might also occur in this step)
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post
  • Any problem device match the ID from step 1?
i still need to see the result of Problem Devices. If you could please edit/past what it listed into a post would be great. Thanks

Are you familiar how to get into your BIOS when you reboot? If yes (you already know how) please look through current BIOS settings to see if any option looks like the display/graphics device can be disabled/turned off. Review all the settings (don't change anything if not familiar with it.. but to take a look and report back)

In any case, i'd like to get additional info from msinfo32
  • Click Components->Display
  • Click File->Export. Save the text file to your desktop and attach to your next post

Also, do you have an LAN connection problem? (an ethernet controller is listed in Problems devices ) or do you only use a wireless adapter maybe?

I could not find anything in BIOS.
And no, I don't use LAN.

oops..Didn't read that last post right. I do use LAN, but I Don't have problem with it.

Hmm.. OK.. You must have a 2nd ethernet controller on there then i would guess. But regardless, bottom line, is you can connect to a LAN.

That last batch of data gives me what i wanted to start looking in detail. Will get back to you probably later in day.

I got it working !!! I just installed Windows Vista and everything works perfectly...
Thanks for everything guys.

Excellent!

Then you must have found your CDs? Or did you find Acer's hidden recovery partition on your hard drive? (that's what Alt+F10 should have found for you)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back