Can't install Flash Player or Office 2010

marygg

I'm trying to help a friend install Flash Player and Publisher 2010. Adobe says Flash Player is installed, but it doesn't work. Publisher 2010 says Office 2003 is corrupted. I've tried to copy and paste the logs but it won't work. Please help. Thank you.

Mary, I can try to help you. But I may have your thread moved to more appropriate forum for software.

Did you follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE?.

If you want me to check for malware, you will need to do that.
What is the problem you're having with the logs? What isn't working when you try to copy and paste them in the reply?
-------------------------------------------
NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
================================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
  • Please let me know if there is any change in the system.

If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.

Thanks, Bobbye. I've just succeeded in getting Flash Player to work. It wasn't malware after all. The ActiveX control was disabled. Now, I'm not sure I have a malware problem. I'll go ahead and follow your instructions and send a reply to you as soon as I can. I'd like to make sure that I don't have a malware and I'd be thankful just to have you check it.

Glad you got it installed! I'll be glad to check the logs. Post when ready.

Remind me later and I will give you a list of safe Active X settings.

Late last night I got the updates for Office 2003 installed. I had to use the LIStool.exe from Microsoft to disable Lis option. This morning I successfully installed Publisher 2010. I'm going to skip the malware check and ask only that you send safe ActiveX settings. Thanks for being there!

Okay, here you go:

My security settings in IE: Active X: E= Enable, P= Prompt, D= Disable:
Auto Prompt> E
Binary> E
Download signed> E
DL unsigned> P
Init. &script not safe> Disable
Run Active X controls & plug ins> E
Script ActiveX marked safe> E

There may be additional setting per browser version. Any time you are not sure> search for help or mark Prompt.

This may also help:
Browser Security
[o] Safe Settings (Please ignore the suggestion to use the Registry Editor in this section "Creating a Custom Security Zone")

Back