Can't Install Malwarebytes

Status
Not open for further replies.
A computer at work has some sort of virus. If you do a google search and click on a result, you are brought to random webpages. If you google any sort of virus removal site, the link will bring you to a "page not found". Some sites you can get to by direct input of the url, but not virus scanning sites. I can get to C-Net and download from there.

I tried downloading Malwarebytes and it will not let me. I burnt to a disk from a clean computer and tried installing and it does nothing. Get a hour clock for a second, then nothing.

I tried changing the install file name to bob.com (I think I saw that tip on here) and it will at least start the install process then lock up during the extracting phase. One thing I did notice is that mbam.exe is almost always running in the background. Even when attempting to install, I can see mbam-setup running, but also 1 or 2 instances of mbam.exe. If I kill the mbam.exe, the install will finish, but Malwarebytes still will not run.

I tried running the instructions from this article: Unable to run or update via TechSpot 8 Steps or manually run MBAM or SAS but still cannot install Malwarebytes. The C:prompt command gives a lot of couldn't complete because file not found errors.

The computer runs the company wide McAfee Total Protection Service, Win-XP Pro service pack 3.

TIA!
Sarah

Hopefully you have isolated that computer from your business network.

A poster in a thread over at WinDrivers;

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=82852

indicated the following;

"Normally Windows won't allow you to install anything in SafeMode but there is a workaround. After booting to SafeMode go to the command prompt and enter the following command :

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Mi nimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

(For SafeMode with Networking)
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Ne twork\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

That will enable you to install most programs in SafeMode."

Can't hurt to try. Reboot after the registry change. You would want the Safe Mode boot with networking to get the updates.

gl

Computer is isolated from network.

Tried the reg change to allow installation in safe mode. Still can't install malwarebytes. Continues to hand on the extracting phase.

To follow up, I left the computer sitting there at the extracting stage. After about 45minues, the installation actually completed. Program still will not run though.

Right now I've left it trying to open. Going to see if it actually will open.

If you haven't been able to proceed, for 3 days now
I think it would be best to physically remove the internal HardDrive, and plug it in as a secondary (or slave) HardDrive to a working computer

And then at least, scan all files from there, using various tools (Antivirus; AntiMalware etc)
You can also backup any data doing it this way as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back