Can't install XP on a new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

I have just assembled a computer and I cannot install XP.

When i press the power button I briefly get a screen up stating what graphics card I have and then this is followed by a screen telling me what processor and memory I have together with two options: F2 to run setup and F11 for boot menu.

After pressing F2 I have changed the boot order so that my CD/DVD drive boots up first but this seems to have changed nothing.

Now my PS2 keyboard is not working with the machine when I know the keyboard is fine so I cannot input anything.

Occasionally when i boot up it says i has auto detected my CD drive and my HDD but this is uncommon.

Is there anyone that has experienced the same problem or can advice me please? Thank You!

If you are using SATA drives your harddrive must be first bootable. You mentioned you switched the order. Was your harddrive first bootable originally?

I'm unsure, how would I check this please?

When I went into F2 and setup it originally said hard drive was first, floppy (non existent) was second and CD/DVD drive third. I swapped 1st and 3rd around one time before my keyboard wouldn't respond and saved the changes before exiting.

I know this is a simple thing, but clear the cmos. Pull the battery for a couple of minutes and before putting it back in press your power switch to clear any residual power. This will put the bios in default settings. See if you can then boot and use your keyboard. If you can enter your BIOS set your harddrive to first bootable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back