Can't load websites, or can load main page but then links don't load

kimst

new to this and not to good on the technical jargon..

basically i used to be able to load websites up then they stopped loading now and again and now they dont load at all.\
for eg: ebay i can go to the website search it all but click on the sign in and it just wont load.
there are other web pages which just wont load at all and just get the load thing and a blank screen.. and then time out.

ive done the AVG thing, spybot search and destroy, spyblaster.. and reset my router but stil nothing!!!

using windows xp and IE8

It could be the wireless adapter. Do you have any other PCs or laptops connected wirelessly? If so, do they work okay? Can you temporarily connect directly by wire to see if it works then?

i use a laptop mainly but we do also have a computer, but pages dont load on that either.

Its just strange the fact that its been abit random. some days pages would load and some days it wouldnt and now it just wont.

I have tried unplugging and resetting wireless adapter before but that didnt do anything.

I can try just connecting straight to laptop instead of wirelessly. But i will have to do it another time as its 12.30am (uk) and i should be asleep. shall keep you updated. Thanks Mailpup

lookinaround - I dont get any messages. most of the time i just click on a link and itl either stay on the page with the loading/connecting symbol swilring around and nothing else happening or it will just give me a blank screen.. which will then sometimes eventually time out and give "internet exp cannot display the page"

If you have similar symptoms with more than one PC or laptop, that would point to the router or maybe the modem or maybe with the ISP itself. My DSL provider has a webpage that will give system status reports in case of problems in certain areas. For example, occasionally if I have problems connecting to websites, it can be because of reported maintenance during certain hours in certain areas. Your ISP may or may not have this feature, however. That said, if it is maintenance, it will clear up after awhile by itself.

I agree with mailpup as is odd i see you also reported it happens on different computers
But i will have to do it another time as its 12.30am (uk) and i should be asleep. shall keep you updated.

Is curious you get the same problem on different computers. But, for now, best to go get some sleep! :)

its not been able to open for a few days and some websites ( newspaper) i cant even remember the last time i was able to get them open either.
Im guessing it must be the ISP because i cant think that ive done/changed anything settings wise on my laptop and also on the computer. would the best thing to do be just to ring them?

You might also try this before you call them (and you can tell them if you've done this)

1. Plug your computer directly into their cable modem. (Take wireless AND the router out of the equation)

2. Run the MS Fixit and try the IE reset per the link above (takes IE issues out of the equation)

3. Start you computer in Safe Mode with Networking mode. This starts XP with minimal software required to run and support networking. Then try IE again

The above will rule out many possible other errors as the problem so you can yell for help and insist it's your ISP problem ;)

/* edit */
Testing IE in Safe Mode removes most 3rd party addon products on yur machine from the equation as they won't be running when you're in Safe Mode

Hope you're reading this sometime after a good sleep! :)

Then, with apologies to mailpup, i'll reorder the suggested steps consistent with his last advice.. (and be a bit more specific)

First a question tho.... Do you have your own router?? Or does your ISP provide you a combination DSL modem/router??

1. If your ISP provides a combination DSL modem/router, connect to it directly with a wired (not wireless) connection

If it's your own router, then disconnect it from the ISP's DSL modem, and connect your computer directly to the DSL modem.

2. Try getting a web page again.

3. If still fails, call your ISP at this time so they can check the quality of your connection and determine if they see any reason your network connection isn't working

4. If your ISP insists it's not their problem, then post back. And then we can explore any of the other options

/* edit */
P.S. I'm calling it a "DSL" modem as i saw you said you have a phone line coming into the house. But whether it's DSL or not, is not important vs. simply whether the ISP supplies just the modem (and you have your own router) OR if your ISP supplies a modem/router combination

hi guys/gals!?
i tried to plug it direct from phone line into laptop but nothing happened.. i probably needed to do something but not sure what.

I use a belkin wireless router which is connected to a bt landline.. laptop has built in wireless connecter..

at this point, is probably easiest for you to call your ISP. They'll likely want you to disconnect from your router and connect directly to them anyway for their testing, so they can provide you any step-by-step directions to do it over the phone.

Hope you get some good results (let us know!)

/* edit */
"connected to a bt landline"... is this dial-up??? or DSL? in any case, try ringing them. let us know if you still need any follow-up

hmm; DSL with direct connection to the PC? Don't forget the ISP Mac Provisioning and the PPoE setup.

i dont understand what you just said!

i shall give them a ring when i get time, and no its not dial up.

thanks

Can you clarify something that LookinAround brought up? You said your connection was "by phone line, router.. then wireless." Is there a DSL modem between the phone line and router or is the router a combined modem/router?

Back