Can't log on to Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the problem,

I was away and my wife got a virus on my computer and she tried to remove it only to mess up my comp bad. the message is "The system cannot log you on due to the following error; The specified domain either does not exist or cannot be contacted."

I have tried to log in on the administrator and it says the same thing. I have used the repair from my windows disk and no luck fixing the problem. I HAD a full oem win xp pro disk but lost it. I used an upgrade to try the repair. Is there anything that I can try before I go buy a new copy and do a complete re-install of win xp pro? I have the same problem in safemode. I can't logon to windows at all.

Thanks for any ideas and help.

From the sounds of it you are trying to log in to a domain. Do you have a home network set up as a domain?? If so try the following: Try logging into the local workstation. Click options at the login prompt and choose the local pc instead of the domain. Once you are in right click my computer, properties, Computer Name, change, un-join the domain by entering a workgroup name, re-boot, then do the same thing and re-join the domain, re-boot and you should be able to log in as normal. No need to re-install or re-build. Your COMPUTER name needs to be re-joined to the domain. This happens from time to time for me as well. You will need of course domain administrator password to do this.

All I got is my normal login screen. How do I pull up the options? I did the ctrl+alt+del to get the other login screen but the only options it shows is shutdown.

boot.ini simply tells your pc what hard drive and partition to boot from. It seems your virus caused some damage preventing you from logging in. Do you know if you had system restore turned on?? There is a way to do system restore offline. I've never tried it but I know it exists. Have you tried last known configuration?? It will probably not make a difference since each time your pc boots it considers as good. I see you already tried a repair. What virus did you find and what file was deleted/quarantined (if you know) . You can try re-wording the title of the thread and better describe the problem to see if any malware people can help you.. or start a new thread in the appropriate forum (Virus and Malware)

Appearently it was the spybot that tries to get you to "buy" it and shows you a list of infected files. Windows police pro or something like that. I am not entirely sure what my wife did to correct the problem or what else she did.

Shortest cut is to borrow a Windows XP Professional disk and hope it is the same service pack as you rold one Then make a copy, and use a key finder to get your old product ID.
Running XP in Repair mode will be the fastest reliable way of getting back running.

I've had this happen to a machine I was working on before.

Turned out that the system files were all out of whack thanks to a bunch of different things, ended up having to do a second repair and it corrected the issue.

Can you get into it if you run it in Safemode with Command Prompt then type in explorer and you should get the desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back