Can't move my mouse, but computer is not frozen

Ryan O'Brien

After going through lots of programs and cleaning out an infection, I restarted it and it is almost totally unusable. I can confirm that both mouse and keyboard work, mouse light is on, and keyboard lets me open the calculator. Any help please? Thanks.

If the mouse is USB (not a PS/2 connection), try disconnecting and then reconnecting. You could also try a different USB port for the mouse.

tried multiple usb ports for both keyboard and mouse, and reconnected multiple times with no success.
also tried the mouse that I'm using for this computer, and that didn't work either.

Have you tried uninstalling the mouse and keyboard. Then rebooting windows to see if it will reinstall their drivers.

Go to the start menu. Click on control panel.Once in the control panel. Click on device manager. When it open scroll down to keyboard click on it when it opens, click hid keyboard.After this open click on the drivers tab. Then click uninstall. Follow the same way under mice and other pointing devices for your mouse, Then just reboot the computer, It then should reinstall their drivers

Go to Control Panel and open Device Manager. From there you should see a listing for your mouse. After selecting your mouse, you should have the option to remove the driver. Once the driver has been removed, reboot the machine. When booting the drivers will be re-installed and hopefully fixes the problem.

Ninja'd by Cobalt!! :)

a mouse with the lime green plug in. keyboard usally has a purple plug in they match to back of the computer.

If you use the "Tab" key to toggle between selections and the "Alt + Tab" to switch between applications, you should be able to navigate to Device Manager in Control Panel.
  • Press the Windows Key to bring up the Start Menu.
  • The Arrow Keys should let you move between selections.
  • If you have access to a search box type in "Control Panel" or better yet go directly to "Device Manager".
  • Use the Tab and Arrow keys to navigate where you want to be. Pressing enter will activate the selected link.

Ahh, I misunderstood thinking the keyboard worked when you stated you could start the calculator, sorry about that.

You might try reseting the System Bios by removing the motherboard battery (with the PC power cord disconnected) for about ten minutes. I'm not sure if it would help but worth a try.

If I were to reset to factory defaults with f9 on the boot screen, do you think that could help?
That depends on whether or not the problem is a hardware issue or software issue. If the issue is hardware related, a factory system recovery will not help. If the issue is software/driver related a factory system recovery could correct the problem.

That depends on whether or not the problem is a hardware issue or software issue. If the issue is hardware related, a factory system recovery will not help. If the issue is software/driver related a factory system recovery could correct the problem.
I'm using the same keyboard and mouse that wasn't working on the other computer, on this computer. I think it is a driver issue, I just have no idea how it happened.

You would think if software was somehow removed . That just powering down the computer. Then starting it back up would install the mouse and keyboards drivers. I would rather guess the usb port drivers are corrupted. Seeing the computer is not picking the mouse or keyboard up. This is why I suggested a old type ps2 mouse and keyboard.If you can borrow one from somebody this may work.
To do a factory restore at some point you need a mouse and key board.If you can get the keyboard to to tap F9 key for you that may work because most of the usb drivers an such load on start up of the install.

where would safe mode be on a dell laptop
I know this is an old thread but new post. Not positive but I think if you reboot, once it starts coming back up, start tapping the f8 key & it should go to a menu asking if you want safe mode, safe mode with networking & so on. Pick safe mode with networking & hopefully it'll work.

Back