Can't open exe files

HarlequinPuppet

Please help me I accidentally changed the program that opens exe files so now they all try to open with some random program. I did what another site recommended and uninstalled the program they were suppose to open with cos they said it would return them to their previous state but now all the icons are blank and I don't know how to fix it. Would doing a system restore work? I've never had to use it before so I don't know if it deletes things or what. Thanks in advance.

I just realised I can't open System Restore anyway so what can I do? I really need to fix my laptop ASAP because I have assignments due which was what I was trying to do when everything stuffed up. Please help....

A System Restore should restore your Windows settings (it certainly won't delete your files)

Also, fyi, to be cautious since you have very needed personal data on your machine, you might also want to start by backing up your personal files/folders. Can you accomplish that much? If not, boot from a Knoppix CD, plug in a USB drive and copy your data. See step 2 in this guide. See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

p.s. If system restore fails, you could also try a Repair install if you have the install CDs or there's a recovery partition on your HD

/* edit */
btw.. you should also tell us what version of windows you're running

Thanks for your reply. I tried the repair and system restore but they didn't work. I managed to download something off a website that fixed it but the icons are all still blank which is annoying. I have Windows 7 and only have the upgrade disc. My laptop originally came with Vista but no installation discs. It has a program to make a system repair disc and back up disc but I tried to do it once and it says I need 12 discs so I haven't bothered to try it again. I have an external harddrive but it isn't very big and I don't think it will hold everything that I have. Thanks again for your reply, I was in a panic so hadn't googled properly for an answer.

Whew! And good work. Glad to hear you found a quick fix after all :grinthumb

Re:
It has a program to make a system repair disc and back up disc but I tried to do it once and it says I need 12 discs so I haven't bothered to try it again.
1) If your HD ever crashes or Windows is terribly corrupt then, of course, you'll severely regret not having made those backup discs ;)
2) Sounds like you tried burning to CDs. Burn to a DVD drive should solve the problem of sooo many discs!

Doesn't your laptop come with a recovery partition?? Most newer laptops should have one already established in a hidden partition.

ChinoNYC should have warned you that restoring a PC from a recovery partition will lose everything you currenlty have on that drive. Hence the need to recover the data before you even dream of doing a recovery.

YES YES YES!!! Recovery to the OEM means reverting your system to the DAY-1 condition
in which it was received!
and that obviously doesn't even include your login-id or data.

Similiar Problem

I had a similiar problem. Used system restore to fix it. The icons stay that way, but all you have to do is delete the desktop icons and create new ones. :cool:

Yes, I should have included that fact as well. Thanks for bailing me out, however you should also consider using the Windows Easy Transfer feature to back up whatever files, folders, and settings you might need as a starting point to get back on track. Perhaps??

Back