Cant open explorerer or other programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all I hope this is this the right place to post this, I am new here, so please forgive me if I'm off topic. ( suggestions on the right topic would be appreciated if I'm wrong)
We just recently got a new computer desk, so shut everything done and unplugged, etc, to change everything around. Well upon starting computer up, I cannot open most programs on my screen name. I can get task manager to open, and my kodak software opens, but upon trying to open windows explorer or any songs that are downloaded on my screen, nothing happens..hour glass works briefly as if its starting to open, then stops. My fiances programs work just fine, which is how I'm able to acess internet to ask this question. Any help at all would be appreciated. We are running windows XP and I believe I have IE explorer 8 on my side, though it may be 7 on this side...I read when I googled the question about opening task manager and then hitting new program, and typing ieexplorer.exe..and run, this had no effect. Please advise!
Thank you.
Mona

have you tried a reboot?
I've have similar problems briefly but they tend to go away.
have a look at the process you try to run and see what happens to it, does it stay on the process list in task manager?

I've tried rebooting a few times now, with no sucess...internet explorer does not show up in task manager after I click on it, nor do the songs or game programs I attempt to open, they just briefly show the arrow as if they are going to open, then ...nothing.

Can you yourself run any executable file? ie a ,exe?
Try some more.
Songs in themselves do not run, a player had to run them.

The desktop usually has links on them have you found the target and tried to run that,

I guess you have tried running stuff direct though.

Bit weird really, as there must be other stuff running, but now you are trying to open them via the windows interface.
Can you open up a dos window? run - command.com some stuff wil run in there but probably not IE.

Internet explore may be screwed up.
I guess you have no internet access on that computer now?
I have a few different browsers, firefox and chrome, so I have options.

Can you download a new copy on the one computer and get it on the other?
Can transfer via a disk and install it.

Or try this:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Method 2: Repair Internet Explorer 6 by using the System File Checker in Windows XP
If you already have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed, and you do not want to install Internet Explorer 8, you may be able to resolve problems with Internet Explorer 6 by running the System File Checker.

To run the System File Checker, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.
2. Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
3. Restart the computer when System File Checker process is complete.

hit Start - run - "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Or got there and click on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back