Can't open or save .tif files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this problem. I have a new Dell laptop and I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email. I had the same setup on my last Dell laptop and didn't have this issue.

The issue:
I receive .tif ftp links in my email (essentially faxes from our server that I need to view). I use to be able to open or save once I clicked on the link. Usually, I would just open. However now, open isn't an option at all and save only works if I have deleted the .tif file type from my computer (open my computer, click on tools and then folder options, click on file types tab - then remove .tif and .tiff). Once I save a file and then open it from my desktop, the .tif file type is put back into my computer folder options and I have to go through the above process all over again to view another one. If I don't remove the .tif file types then as soon as I click on the .tif link it automatically saves in some temporary file that I have yet been able to find. I've searched for the document name and nothing ever comes up.

What do I need to do in order to be able to open the .tif links immediately without going through the process above?

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I looked at the associations and have tried several different things, but it still is not working. I am still forced to deleted the .tif and .tiff file types before opening one in my email. And even then I can only save, not open. I did have a look at the associations on my old laptop and they are set to open with an imaging package (from Kodak), which I no longer have. Currently, I have them set to open with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (which is the default setting) and I've tried Adobe.

If anyone has other suggestions, I'd like to here them. Also, is there any way to get imaging software for free that I could try?

Thanks for your input.
BS

This should work for you .tiff problem...

My wife uses a fax server for her work. She uses "AlternaTiff" for opening and viewing the files.

Do a search for "AlternaTiff" and a link should come up.

You probably have a solution by now since the original post was in November, but whatever.

Have a Nice Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back