TechSpot

Can't Open Programs

By jwalker007
Jul 20, 2008
  1. Hi....I've recently seen a new problem on my XP system. When I click on ANY desktop program, the only thing that opens is the property menu of that application. If I reboot, everything is fine...but I may have to reboot several times a day. I did a complete clean up...registry, antivirus, defender, spybot checking for any problems but that didn't seem to help. Any suggestions? jjwalker007

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

It's usually the right click "Open" command (context menu) missing
    But rebooting shouldn't fix that

You did run all AntiVirus/Spyware tests fully?

3. jwalker007

jwalker007 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes...that is the first thing I did. Windows Defender...Spybot Seach and Destroy...AVG Antivirus....and some registry checks. I did not find anything that was unusual. Jwalkeroo7

4. kimsland

By the way, is right click "open" showing

Or does it show "open" when its faulted?

5. jwalker007

jwalker007 TS Rookie Topic Starter

When I right click...the program box "flashes" and I cannot enter it. If I left click, the only thing that opens is the program's property box...the shortcut tab. When I click on the start button to reboot...sometimes I can just restart...but sometimes when I click on the start button, it will simply "flash" and I have to just shut the CPU down because I can't do it from the start button. I did just install a new modem and wireless router yesterday...I wonder if that is doing something....Jwalker

6. kimsland

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.