Can't partition Windows 7... and get MS games to work?

Tommygunn

I've just built a computer for a mate of mine using Windows 7 for the OS, which is my first time using that software.
My problem is, is that when I partition the hard disk into 'C' and 'D' (C for the OS, D for all the rest) all the preloaded Microsoft games (Cards etc) become non fuctional.
I have tried all ways of accessing them, both directly and indirectly, and no luck.
However, they do work if I eliminate the 'D' partition and have everything installed on a single partition.

What could be causing this?

Tom.

What exactly do you mean by 'non-functional' ?

Take, for example, mshearts.exe which resides in folder c:\windows\system32 Is it still there? What exactly happens when you double-click it ?

The only thing I can think of that would cause trouble by the very existance of a D: drive is if you simply copied MS games like mshearts.exe to the D:\ drive somewhere. Then the link from the start menu supposed to start the game would be broken, and you would need to change the properties of the link to point to the new location before it would work.

It WILL still work if you double-click the file in windows explorer, even when moved to the D:\ drive. I proved that myself. However I am on Win XP not Win7, but even so, I cannot conceive how the simple addition on a D:\ drive could possible cause havoc to Win7, so I would ask for a far more detailed description of the problem you are seeing.

This is what I did step by step:

1) Set to boot from disk

2) Upon getting the diskspace screen I partitioned the single lump of disk space into 'C' (15Gb) and 'D', with a third, small amount automatically set aside by Windows.

3) I then had the 'C' partition highlighted and proceeded to load windows.

4) Once loaded, 'My Computer' showed 'C' occupied by Windows with 'D' ready for formatting, which I duly did.

5) I then went into Regedit to alter the default program load file so that all subsequent programs would go into a 'Program File' in 'D' rather than the default 'C' drive.

6) My mate then happened to try the Windows games via the Start button, by the C drive .exe and by a desktop icon and none of these routes worked.
We got a pop up box saying that something was wrong with the address in 'D' blah blah, if my memory serves.

Basically, we had done nothing with 'D' except format it and probably load some unrelated programs while 'C' was untouched.
Only thing I did was split the disk and change the default program file from 'C' to 'D' once windows and the formatting was complete.

Tom.

I think that setting up that registry to point to D drive is what probably screwed it up. Seven is very particular about where all the files go, several directories all over the place sometimes.

Did you try playing the games before you edited the registry? If the games work with a partitioned D, but no registry editing, then you found the culprit.

Fraid not. I will be going over to have a look at the comp tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Tom.

I'd also take a look at the amount of space you're giving to the Windows partition. MS site says the minimum for 32-bit is 16 GB and 32-bit is 20 GB - and of course who wants to try to get by with the absolute minimums?

That is clearer. Certainly the C:\ drive is too small for Win7. Having a D:\ drive as well is sensible and something I always do myself. Optionally, when you load new programs such as games, tools etc, you can take the 'advanced' option and load them to D:\ but as gwailo says, over-riding Windows7 own defaults for install locations is not a good idea.

I'd have to agree with the above. I'm running a fully updated W7 Professional 64bit OS and I've literally just checked my Windows Directory, and that alone is now 16.8GB in size.

I'd say you need at least 20GB for the C: drive, unless you want to avoid problems.

There should be absolutely no need I can think of to registry edit W7 directories. You can install games using advanced settings, and you can change the default location of all your essential folders inside your "home" directory by simply changing there targets in the folders properties.

Actually, I was talking off the top of my head when I said 15Gb, it was actually 25Gb because I remember checking Wikipedia the other week.

As you fellas have mentioned I will experiment with the options for loading programs to 'D' this afternoon and see how things go.

Thanks,
Tom.

You need to install the games using advanced settings, and locate them to D:

Documents, Pictures, Downloads, Videos etc can be moved by changing the target > W7 will then use those new locations as the location to store downloads, and other media by defaults.

Any other way is just messy in my opinion, and unfortunately ends up causing issues. Also, the MS games aren't likely to be huge in size, so I would just leave them where they are personally.

Personally I'm not fussed about the MS games and neither is my mate.
However, in his words, his girlfriend will be.
They can stay in 'C' drive as was the plan.

Anyway, I'll check out the 'advanced' option this afternoon.

Tom.

Back