Can't play 1080p HD video smoothly

Can't play 1080p HD video smoothly,it usually freezes and it becomes impossible to watch the video.I use vlc player but it still doesn't work.pc processor is Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz and RAM is 4.00GB(2.97GB useable), 32-bit OS,Windows 7 ultimate service pack 1.moreover,a hard drive of 24.4GB remains un-useable all the time.
so I need to know how can I solve this problem
do I need to add more RAM and get 64-bit OS?

Reset the router MTU to stop packet fragmentation.
  1. log into your router
  2. usually in the section for the WAN side, you find the MTU setting defaulting to 1500.
  3. reset it to 1492
  4. save and reboot

I'm betting it's CPU limited - open up your task manager while you're watching and see if it's sitting at 100%. Depending on the codecs being used in the file you're trying to watch it could be more or less CPU dependent.

Your cpu is too old for handling 1080p nay 720p videos..even with the inclusion of a video card..video will get stuck..time u get a new system..any new dual-core with 2gb/4gb ram can handle 1080p videos easily..

Your cpu is too old for handling 1080p nay 720p videos..even with the inclusion of a video card..video will get stuck..time u get a new system..any new dual-core with 2gb/4gb ram can handle 1080p videos easily..
Not true. "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz and RAM is 4.00GB" only lacks mutli-cores and multi threading, which will degrade performance, but my i3 M380 @ 2.53Ghz with 4 GB ram runs just fine (I'll confess it's Win/7 pro 64bit) and that's with an onBoard video chip.

IMO streaming issues are typically rooted in limited Internet speeds and TCP settings than CPU / Ram.

One other thought: The HDtv streams Internet / Netflix just fine and it's not 64bit nor multi-core (hmm, it's also not Windows)

Theoretically any one can make an argument..I used to own a single core system..it just can't handle hd videos even with a good gpu..and I not talking about netflix or other online playing mechanism..straight normal hard drive play..i3 is a dual core(I own one currently)..pentium 4 is old single core..

I'm betting it's CPU limited - open up your task manager while you're watching and see if it's sitting at 100%. Depending on the codecs being used in the file you're trying to watch it could be more or less CPU dependent.

u r right.when I checked cpu meter while trying to play a media of 1080p,it was fully sitting on 100%

I guess u r right 'bout it...I've tried other media players like kmplayer but didn't work.so maybe its time for a system change...finally.

Not true. "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz and RAM is 4.00GB" only lacks mutli-cores and multi threading, which will degrade performance, but my i3 M380 @ 2.53Ghz with 4 GB ram runs just fine (I'll confess it's Win/7 pro 64bit) and that's with an onBoard video chip.

IMO streaming issues are typically rooted in limited Internet speeds and TCP settings than CPU / Ram.

I was having prob with the media that r already in the hard drive.and streaming is more stressful to begin with-that's why I didn't go for streaming.

Its definitely the processor, me got also dual core (athlon 2,9G overclocked to 3,15G) and 1080i videos on youtube are impossible to play (processor is used to 100% in task man.) 720p processor on 70-80% are great to watch

Back