can't play sims 2 on a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I built a new computer and the Sims 2 keeps crashes and restarts. Can some one help me. I have:

ASUS p5n32-e sli plus
Intel core 2 6300
1022mb ram
2 Nvidia GeForce 7600gt sli 256mb (pci-e)
SoundMAX hd audio card
DirectX 9.0c

I can play Doom 3, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4 all on high. I just can't play Sims 2. I have the lastest drivers.

Do I need a better card.

If you can play those other games without crashes or problems, it's quite possible you have another problem... likely northbridge or cpu temp/voltage issue. Sims 2 is more cpu & memory intensive than most games.

I'd start by downloading and running Asus's Probe II software and let this run on the desktop while trying Sims 2. This will allow you to monitor your CPU temp, voltages and system ambient temps. With good cooling, neither temp should ever go over 50C.. with ambient temps >50C may be a sign of an overheating Northbridge (occasional problem on that series motherboard, but easy to fix).

Lastly, does this problem occur when you run single-card vs. SLI? This would be the next test to see if it's a profile/NVIDIA driver problem with SLI + Sims 2. If it works fine in single-card mode, you should report this issue on the NV forums in hopes of a fix in drivers.

The CPU temp runs about 45c to 50c with any game. The problem occur with single and SLi. I even set the game at 800 by 600 and still the same. You said (problem on that series motherboard, but easy to fix) what problem and how do I fix.

my computer came up with an error message and i searched it on google and it told me how to fix

Jimbo597 said:
The CPU temp runs about 45c to 50c with any game.
Run Asus Probe for a heavy session of Sims 2 and measure this game in particular. Find out what it's peak temp achieved is (not just CPU but also ENV).

The problem occur with single and SLi.
Hrmm.. guess that rules out the NV profile.. great.

You said (problem on that series motherboard, but easy to fix) what problem and how do I fix.
It's not too uncommon for the heatsink/heatpipe on the NORTHBRIDGE to be loose or otherwise poor contact with the chip itself, especially given the heatpipe/tube that attaches to it and connects over the CPU.

Here's a pic to better illustrate:
http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php?articleid=1993&image=28

As you can see, the Northbridge cooler has a copper heatpipe that also stretches above the cpu to cool above. Sometimes, that copper tubing is a bit "bent" causing the lower part to not fit properly on the Northbridge (i.e. minimal contact).

Also, it's a passive cooler which means it requires airflow over those fins to provide any amount of cooling. If you have your drive cables, memory or power cables and/or insufficient case fans to draw/exhaust air in a "flow"- you can have these issues only when overly taxing cpu/memory (alah Sims 2).

Does your case have plenty of fans? Do they form an airflow (i.e. orientation of intake fans/one side, exhaust fans/opposite side)? Have you inspected the black stand-offs on the motherboard? Removing the assembly and putting better compound (i.e. Arctic Silver 5)/re-affixing sound like something you're capable of?

Overall, I doubt the problem is related to the 7600's in general (barring defective hardware on one/both of them). Sims 2 really doesn't need too much graphics muscle- just a decently modern card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back