Can't play video and/or audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

lataak

Hello everyone. It has been long since I posted anything. I have question for you today. I have Satellite A205-S5871 toshiba laptop which runs Vista home premium. Until a while ago, it worked properly. But before two weeks, a virus attacked it (it failed to boot and I think it is because of virus, though I am not sure). Then I copied and pasted the missing dll files(MSIMG32.dll, sfc.dll, SFC_OS.dll & nt.dll which I downloaded from internet not from Microsoft) into the windows\system32 directory and it booted. But now it doesn't play video or any audio. When I try to play in WMP11, it gives error message Windows Media Player encountered problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web help. I clicked the web help and tried to do what is recommended but it did not work. I also tried to reinstall audio and video driver, still no effect. on the web help, it reads This error might have been triggered by an error in another program or component of Windows. The following information describes the original error. Original error message: 80070241
What do you advise me? The audio player is Realtek High Definition Audio, and video is Intel 965 Express Chipset family. Additionally, every time I launch any program, an error message The Ordinal 7 could not be located in the dynamic link library sfc_os.dll appears. Any reason or solution?

Hi lataak

Which version of Windows are you using? Do you have the install disk for it? Try running the repair function available on the disk using Chkdsk after loading from the CD. Install your drivers after doing this.

Please do run the 8-step virus removal from here ... https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/ to check if your system is still infected and if that could be causing any of your problems.

Spyder_1386 :)

I use Windows Vista service pack 1. Actually, I tried to repair using graphical window but it says no error found. I have also run chkdsk from recovery console with no effect. I don't have the recovery disk but I have Vista DVD (? I don't know the version). I used that for repairing. I will run the virus removal steps and be back. Thanks Spyder_1386.

I have a horrible internet connection and I could not perform some of the 8 steps mentioned above. I have been trying for the last two days with no success. In any way, I have downloaded trial version of Driver Detective and scanned my computer. It gave me the following reports:

1) Display Adapters
i. (2) Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family =Dispaly addapters
I corrected this since then

2) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
i. Intel(R) ICH8M SATA AHCI Controller-2829
ii. Intel(R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers -2850

3) Network Adapters
i. Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

4) Ports (COM & LPT)
i. BT port(COM 15)

5) Sound, Video and game controllers
i. Realtek High Definition Audio
I tried to correct this but couldn't

6)System devices
i. (6) Intel(R) ICH8 Family Express Root port 1-283F
ii. Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge -2448
iii. Intel(R) ICH8 Family SMBus Controller-283E
iv. Mobile Intel(R) PM965/GM965/GL960 Express Processor to DRAM Controller-2A00

7) Universal Serial Bus
i.(7) Intel(R)ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller-2830

8) Unplugged devices
i. (2) USB Mass Storage Device-port_#0005.Hub_#0007
ii. Ethernet controller -PCI bus 4, device 0, function 0

The confusion for me is that Realtek High Definition Audio has problem but High Definition Audio Controller is fine/no problem. What is the difference between the two? Can you see any other problem related to multimedia?

Here is the hijack log file:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:46:13 PM, on 21/03/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Moderator Edit:
Pasted log removed
All logs must be attached, see here for info on attaching logs:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/post733954-4.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back