Can't revalidate Win XP

compute1

Hi,

a family member has a problem with their computer, recently a little box show up on the bottom of scrren saying you may have been victim of counterfeit fraud, and is unable to validate win xp

Everything was fine for over 2 years until installing a new cd drive, and i think downloaded firm ware for it then this trouble began.

tried going to the system tools to validate it but the icon isnt even there now..

any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks.

Hi,

ill have to try that link when im there, as for the OS the computer was built by someone he knows, that was my first reaction too wondering if it was genuine copy, but that is unknown.

Thanks.

Hi,

I, tried the link to vaildate but says it cant and wants tthe computer to upgrade to win 7 OS

the computer had two hard drives intalled, 1 with xp and 1 with vista im wondering if it could be vista that is causing the problem.

or anyone have another idead?

Thanks.

Sounds like a pirated copy of Windows to me but, I have known malware to cause this issue as well. If it were me I would take it back to the person who built the computer and let him/her worry about fixing it.

The Windows validation process is not infallible - I have had several cases recently where perfectly legal installations have been flagged up as counterfeit. In most cases ignoring the message works as it goes away after a few days. Re-activation may also be necessary and if the automated system does not work, get hold of a real person on the same call and get it done manually. You will also have to confirm that you have only made an installation on a single machine but you are allowed to do this providing it is the same machine the OS was installed on.

Back