Can't run windows update, computer is slow, Pop-ups, vundo virus?

By cdogg1
Aug 19, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I am having a very hard time with my computer right now. Well first off, a couple of days ago my computer started to run very slowly. After that, I would notice that my Windows Update would automatically turn off at startup. I have been trying to turn it back on, but I cannot and I receive and error mssg. (1058). My Symantec Antivirus would also turnoff on its own after my computer as been on a few minutes. Also, while trying to browse on IE or Firefox, I receive a lot of pop-up advertisements (mostly on anti-spyware software). Lastly, from time to time my computer will just completely freeze up.

I have an Acer Travelmate 8100 that runs Win. Xp Professional.
    After doing some research on the internet, it seems like I might have the vundo virsus...but i'm not completely sure of that. I have tried removing all threats by using Ad-aware, Spybot, and countless virus scans using Symantec Anti-virus...but I still have no success in removing whatever the infection is...I still have the problems.

If ANYBODY knows how I could solve these problems, please help...I would greatly appreciate it! (if anymore information on my situation is needed...please let me know)
  2. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

3. cdogg1

cdogg1 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thank so much for the feedback...I was able to fix these problems!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.