Can't save document onto disc in CD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pc with 2 disc drives. I can play a disc showing photos but if I insert a new CD and try to save a Word document it refuses to save it.

What do you mean by "refuses to save it"? What error message(s) appear? Can't write to the CD? Can you burn any new data like songs, or new pictures to this CD burner?

Do they show as CD-R or CD-RW in Device Manager?
I have one in my machine that plays only.Try to burn to it, I get a message "no writers found".

Don't take this the wrong way but is the disk drive a CD/DVD read only or is it a CD-RW or DVD RW drive?

Without packet writing software in XP (such as InCD, or whatever Nero calls theirs) you simply cannot just tell word to save a file there. CD drives do not act like floppy drives, or hard drives. You can drag the file there from Windows Explorer, then in the left column tell it to burn these files to cd, but until you do that they aren't actually on the disk, even though they appear in the disk window.

This is a funny thread. You can't save stuff onto the CD drive.

You burn stuff into it with a program like Nero or Roxio or something.

If you want that on CD, u must first save it locally. Then burn it onto CD.....But if you now open the file with the burned CD you cant save it. Because its read only disc CDR . funny thread this should get you aware now that you cant save something on CD lolololol Are you new to comps or something ... anyhow,, gl

Yeah, you people still running XP have to use a 3rd party burning program like Nero or Roxio. I always install Nero 6 and Power DVD 5 on my repaired XP computers. Nero 7 and above is pure bloatware. Vista and Windows 7 have a much improved Roxio program built in, and you can copy & paste, drag & drop files to be burned to a CD or DVD easily

Well, XP will (at least with SP2, I forget on SP1 and prior since its been so long ago) you can drag and drop to the CD, and then tell it to burn as I said in my earlier post. But you can't write to them from within something like Word.

You CAN write to them from within Word IF you have something like InCD installed, because that sets up the cd to have files written to it in almost real time. The problem though is unless you properly master the disk when you eject it, only computers with InCD installed will be able to read it. So its just a big ball of suck all around. This is why USB sticks are so popular :)

InCD is disabled in many of the XP, SP2 installs I do... Isn't any burner attached to this XP SP2 computer recognized as a burner, and if you move files to it, Windows will give you a "burn" option?

You had me questioning myself, so I looked it up. I was partially wrong InCD isn't Roxio's creation, it is Neros. Roxio did the same thing years ago, it was called something else apparently and was entirely separate from its main app. It was before Nero's thing. Its completely 3rd party to Windows. Windows itself in XP never allows direct writing to a cd from within another program, it all has to be done by dragging to the cd, then telling windows to write (going through a wizard) before anything is on a disk.

InCD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InCD writes it just like the CD was a floppy disk, or makes it appear like that to the user.

Isn't any burner attached to this XP SP2 computer recognized as a burner, and if you move files to it, Windows will give you a "burn" option?
Yes, thats what I've been trying to say, that is the only way you can burn from Windows itself without 3rd party tools. InCD (a 3rd party tool) makes it appear like windows is writing files to the cd like it would a floppy disk or another hard drive or a usb stick. Which is still entirely different than opening up Nero Burning ROM or any other app that has a gui to burn files.

I used the term packet writing in my first post in this thread. Here is what it is for those unfamiliar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_writing

"InCD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InCD writes it just like the CD was a floppy disk, or makes it appear like that to the user"...

Yes, I think I used InCD when XP was first released, but as I said, recent installs of SP2 and Nero will not allow me to install InCD. It seems to conflict with something in XP, SP2

I can't believe anyone uses packet writing software by any manufacturer, its so slow, big compatibility issue, and its just bad :).

/I fear we've taken this thread off on a tangent.

I can't believe anyone uses packet writing software by any manufacturer, its so slow, big compatibility issue, and its just bad :).

/I fear we've taken this thread off on a tangent.
Tangent or not, if a drive will burn at it's rated speed with packet writing software installed, how could it be "so slow"?

I don't know exactly how this is, I've just seen it happen and it is SLOW. The reason (I'm guessing) is:

It has to spool up the disk, then write a lead in, write the 15kb file you just saved, then write the lead out. We all have 48x or higher cd writers now, and you try to write a 2kb file with it and it still takes about a minute before all the crap is finished and you can take the disk and put it in another computer. So every time you make a 'save' to your precious document you are working on it has to do that whole mess again... I can burn 700 megs in the time it is going to take you to save 4 files individually of any size with packet writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back