Can't see external hard drive on my MacBook Pro

By kjryder
Feb 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello all.

I am very new and am in need of major help. I've had my current external hard drive for about 2 years and use it frequently. A week ago I plugged the USB connection into my laptop, and my external hard drive started making clicking sounds for about 5 minutes and never fully loaded /appeared on the screen. Now if I try to connect the drive, the LED light turn on, but I cannot access the drive. I found a thread from another person (vb/topic172059) that had a similar problem, but there was no solution given.

Can someone please help!!!
  2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

Unusual clicking sounds from harddrives are never a good sign. I would guess that the drive inside te enclosure is failing. Try connecting it to another computer and see if it works.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,455   +288

Is it a little external that is powered solely by the USB connection? If so, it MIGHT be that it isn't getting enough power. I've seen that happen with WD external drives on a Powerbook. Those same drives worked fine on a Macbook Pro though...

So in all likelyhood, if the drive is clicking, its dead. Small possibility its just not getting enough power though - Try it on a desktop computer.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.