TechSpot

Can't set FireFox as default broswer?

By leadpill924
Jun 1, 2007
  1. Hi, I downloaded FireFox because many people say it's faster, and I went into Tools>Main>Always check to see if FireFox is default broswer on startup
    and I did that, and when I click a button to open up my Yahoo Mail on the messenger, its Internet Explorer. So can someone please tell me how else I can fix this? Thank you

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

That`s weird.

Make sure you install flash player and java from Firefox. then, make sure Firefox is set as your default browser and reboot your system.

See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

3. leadpill924

leadpill924 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 119

Still nothing

4. MMDominator88

MMDominator88 TS Rookie Posts: 119

open the start menu go to "set program access and defaults" and click on the down arrow on the far right of the screen under custom, and when U scroll down to choose default web browser, is Firefox available to make as default ?

if you open the internet explorer properties, (and go to the "programs" tab) is the space unticked next to the option of reminding you if internet explorer is the default browser ?

5. souton

souton TS Enthusiast Posts: 106

dont check "Always check to see if FireFox is the default web browser on startup".. just click Check Now and it should set it for you. thats what i do every time i format and download Firefox

6. leadpill924

no i didnt see 'FireFox' in Set Porgam Access and Defaults.

7. howard_hopkinso

Try running this small programme and see if it helps. Download the attached zip file and extract it, then double click on the defaultbrowser.exe and follow the instructions.

8. leadpill924

still wont work
    P.S. How do you answer so quickly?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

9. howard_hopkinso

Damn, that`s a shame. Maybe uninstall Yahoo messenger, reboot your system and reinstall.

I only answer so quickly, if I`m online at the time lol.

10. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 TS Rookie Posts: 293

MSN Messenger is affiliated with Microsoft and will always open IE rather than any other browser.

If it bugs you that much, I'm sure there is a regedit tweak to get around it.

To test if firefox is your default browser in general, type http://google.com.au in a RUN command.

11. leadpill924

oooooh thanks a lot man i get it now.

12. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 TS Rookie Posts: 293

Try this also: http://www.stuffplug.com/

Apparently it will allow you to set Firefox as your default browser to open in MSN Messenger.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.