Can't Share Files when i connect 2 pc with ethernet (CAT5) Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

This is my First post. i just registered today and try to search but its unsuccessful for me.

Here is my issue. I hope you guys help me

I have 2 PC's both have WinXP Pro. i have one network card port in each pc. so i am disconnecting my pc from internet and trying to connect with my 2nd PC. but its not detecting. i am new with the networking. i am not using any router or hub as i don't have. when i connect with ethernet (CAT 5) cable both pc is not detecting each other. Try to create new network connection but it wont help at all. I need to transfer few files from one pc to another. if you guys have any step by step guide or any kinda help Pls let me know. As i need to transfer file urgently pls.

Thanks in Advance.

Chk local connection on both laptops if the firewall is ON, Disable the firewall or chk if any antivirus shield in not letting you ping both systems if you have then disable the shield.

I assume you are connecting a CAT5 cable between the two Ethernet Network Cards (NIC). What you have to use is a CAT5 or CAT6 crossover cable. This cable has some of it's wires crossed over, instead of a straight through feed. Should be available at your computer store.

you will need to set the TCP configuration for EACH system manually.

system-A
ipaddress 192.168.100.2
gateway 192.168.100.4
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
dns address 127.0.0.1
system-B
ipaddress 192.168.100.4
gateway 192.168.100.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
dns address 127.0.0.1

each system should be able to ping the other's address
system-A ping 192.168.100.4