Can't show my webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just cannot work it out!
Let me explain:

When using msn messenger, when I click on my cam icon I can't access "show my cam" but can access "make a video call", however, if I make that video call my cam doesn't work and I get a red X.

But.... and this is the interesting part; if someone else has already sent their cam to me I can send them my cam because the "show cam" option appears.
Also if someone makes me a video call my cam will work too.

I have looked through the menu and can't access show cam there either.

When I use skype I have no cam problems whatsoever. They are only in msn when I initialise using my cam.

Please can someone help?
Jon

Try removing the webcam from the Device Manager, and letting Windows reinstall it. Are you running Windows Live Messenger under XP Service Pack 3?

Tmagic650m thanks so much for your reply,

I'm running Windows Live Messenger under Service Pack 1.

I can find webcam-101 in the Device Manager. But I don't want to uninstall it as I don't have the software on a disk. Do you have any ideas as to what I should do? Am I not understanding something? This whole problem has baffled me silly!

Jon

XP Service Pack 1 or Vista Service Pack 1? Don't worry about not finding the webcam-101 in the device manager. Does Windows make the "Bing Bong" noise when you plug the webcam in?

Vista Service Pack 1 (sorry).
The webcam is not detachable so I don't think it ever made any noise.

I found it in my Device Manager but am don't want to do anything to make it worse, like not having cam at all.

Maybe I the problem is entirely in my msn messenger?

Jon

Had this problem a while back too:<

really? And did you repair it somehow?

Maybe I should just reinstall messenger. But when I've had messenger related problems in the past I've always done that only to find afterwards the problem was to be fixed in the menu settings either in messenger or elsewhere. So reinstalling didn't solve the problem.

"The webcam is not detachable so I don't think it ever made any noise"...

Is this computer a laptop? If so, the webcam driver is part of the driver set for the laptop. You get these drivers from the maker of the laptops website. Try updating Vista to Service Pack 2, and see if that helps first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back