can't shut down /log off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refwhett

Hi I think the best way to describe my problem is to list the things I can and can not do...

These are the things I can't do:
1. log off using the dialogue box (start >> log off)
2. shutdown/restart using the dialogue box
3. shutdown/restart using task manager
4. Other programs that request a restart (after
installation or changing preferences) can not get it to
happen either.

Now here are the things that DO work:
1. switch users using the dialogue box
2. Log off using task manager
3. shut down from the welcome screen. (This is the only
way for me to turn off my computer)

Windows doesn't hang or anythign like that. The simple
thing is that nothing happens. I tried shutting down and
left the computer for 1 hour after which I was still
loged in and could use the computer normally.

Frustratting!!! (but not really a horrible problem. I am
just very curious as to what can cause this behaviour).

Thanks
Mike

Try logging in as administrator. You must have taken some authorisation(s) away for the main-user.
Also, if you have TweakUi installed, there are some settings in there that can prevent/allow some of the things you mention.

have you tried...

First, what Windows are you running. I know that in windows XP there are files in system32 called Shutdown and Restart that you can link to to shut down. Hope it works.

realblackstuff: I am always loged in as an administrator

me(who else?):
I am running xp pro.

I was sure that making new links to the actual shut down exe would work (I cleaned up some bad links adnd other things a while ago) but it didn't.
Even launching the exe. directly doen't do much. The only thing I get is the black commandline screen flashes for about a millisecond, nothing more.
So still looking for an answer. I even tried starting ALL the windows services incase I disabled a needed service but that didn't help either...:confused:

Please post the solution to this issue, if you find one. I'm interested in knowing what the cause and resolution are.

Sorry guys but the problem is still there. Well, it would be if I hadn't reinstalled windows.
I know it sounds extreme but I was thinking about doing it anyway in not too long. I have a habit of doing that a couple of times or so a year. :eek:
thanks for the help though, I really do wonder what was wrong there....

Have you got fast user switching enabled ? That can cause a few issues ,especially if you are not signing off of another user at shutdown.Just a thought . I
still like Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back