Can't shutdown local PC. "Active Directory Domain Services unavailable"

When Windows 10 is officially released, I plan to...

Poll closed Jun 13, 2016.
  1. switch to using it right away.

2. wait a while for the early adopters to work the kinks out.

0 vote(s)
  3. keep what I've got, which is working just fine and set up how I like it.

By Mugsy
Jun 13, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. I'm trying to remotely shutdown another PC in my home from my Desktop PC.

My Desktop PC is 64bit Win7 Home, but I don't think it matters, since a Google search shows every version of Windows AFTER XP has this problem.

I have the Win10 Preview running on a computer in another room. I'd like to be able to shut it down remotely from my primary (Win7) computer. To do this, I run "shutdown /I" from the command prompt. The dialog appears but when I try to "Browse" the network for the other PC, I get an error message telling me:

"Active Directory Domain Services unavailable"

This happens whether I do this from the Win7 PC or the Win10 PC, so I know it's not a hardware or OS specific thing. It also happens if I try to do the same directly from the CLI.

I don't want to have to setup a Server just to do this one tiny thing. Any ideas? TIA.
  2. gguerra

gguerra TS Maniac Posts: 317

When you say remotely do you mean Remote Desktop? If so, have you tried pressing Ctrl_Alt_End and then clicking on shutdown?
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,147   +597

"Active Directory Domain Services unavailable"
    This SHOULD only be seen if your PC is joined to a Domain Controller
  4. Mugsy

Mugsy TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 360   +9

If you share files over a local network, while you can see other computers on your network, apparently you can't send commands to them. :(

I found a work-around by installing "Team Viewer 9", allowing me to see the other computers' desktop, from which I can run a shortcut to Shutdown.exe on the remote desktop.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,147   +597

Yes, I too am familiar with Team Viewer except
    is very specific and means what it sasy