Can't turn on my PS3, no green light

By ducracer
May 17, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello, im a newbie here and i don't play my ps3 too often, however today i tried to play but it just wouldn't turn on. the green light will come on for a bit then make a sound turn yellow then red. i read the trobleshooting section on my book but all it said was that it may be overheated but i have the cooling system hooked up to it sinc the day i got it. i don't know much about the system so please any info will be appreciated. thanks.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,748   +156

You need to take the PS3 in for service
  3. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

To be honest, this is the first thing I have heard of a PS3 having this kind of error. I am sure some have it, but nobody I know has had this problem.
  4. Myzz617

Myzz617 Newcomer, in training Posts: 382

If you have a cooling system u bought from a 3rd party try removing it and only use just the PS3 console and make sure there is plenty space for it to breathe. What model do u have 40gig??
  5. BMfan

BMfan TechSpot Guru Posts: 479   +48

I have heard of 3rd party cooling systems actually causing the PS3 to overheat.
  6. prowler09

prowler09 Newcomer, in training

^^ yea, this happend to my dads ps3
  7. hamas123

hamas123 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 499

Have to took it out then? And like myzz617 said give it some space after you done that. If that doesn't/didn't work tell us.
  8. Godzaghe

Godzaghe Newcomer, in training

Ring Sony, they are nice to help.
  9. Tmagic650

I have never worked on a PS3, but it is not unusual for internal power supplies to fail... Is it?
  10. ben456789

ben456789 Newcomer, in training

well i have the exact same problem right now was u able to find a solution manually??? coz i am desperate 2 find out :(:(:(
  11. jtickner1

jtickner1 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 663

This can sometimes be an error with the HDD inside the PS3. Bad firmware may have caused this or the HDD itself may have come lose. Open it up and re-seat the HDD, this may fix your problem.

If you need help with this use THIS guide

12. BMfan

BMfan TechSpot Guru Posts: 479   +48

get rid of your after market cooler,the big vent on the side/or top depending which way you place it acts as in intake and an out take.The after market cooler will work against the cooling layout of the PS3.I have opened my one so i see how the cooling system works.
  13. cruz

cruz Newcomer, in training

i have the same problem plz anyone know abt solution tel me coz iam away frm service centers
  14. Tmagic650

ducracer has vanished without a trace... and without an answer to his inquiry :confused:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.