TechSpot

Can't update display drivers

By Dvinb1234
Aug 20, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As of two days ago, my comptuer started flickering, and sometimes the screen would just turn black. I can't open any games or anything that relies on a display driver. It says both my display drivers are disabled because there is an error. My video cards are both Nvidia GenForce 9800 GX2. Someone suggested I should download and install updates, but everytime I do it either does absolutely nothing or my screen goes black in the middle of installation and I have to reboot my computer. Both the drivers are now uninstalled. Any self help information you guys could give me before I have to resort to calling in a technician? :/
  2. Dvinb1234

Dvinb1234 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Edit

Both the drivers are actually now installed, but still showing an error and disabled.

Some additional information: When I start up the computer, there are blues dots on the screen, if that changes anything. I've only had my computer for 2 years.
  3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,889   +85

well there's no reason to get carried away!:haha:;). did you uninstall the old drivers, or install over them? it sounds as if the old ones may have left components behind.
  4. Dvinb1234

Dvinb1234 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

They were completely uninstalled, to my knowledge. Then I reinstalled them. Now I try to update, it downloads the update, but either says installation wasn't completel/try later, or my screen turns black (stayed like that for 5 hours).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.