Can't upgrade onboard sound with a Asus motherboard, if I do, I don't have sound

smashr

Hello,

I have a really weird thing going on. I have a asus PG5D1 motherboard. I'm not sure if it's the pro or the normal version but when I compare the pictures of the two motherboards on the Asus website with what mine looks like, it looks like a P5GD1 Pro motherboard.
So when I click on the downloads part of the page dedicated to that motherboard I look for the sound drivers for the onboard sound and the latest ones are very old like 2005.

But the name of the drivers is Realtek ALC861 Audio Driver V5.10.0.5116 beta for Windows 64bit XP/2003.

So to find the latest I go on the Realtek website, and find the latest drivers for the ALC861., I uninstall the old ones (version 2.01) and install the new ones (version 2.53). Reboot. And then I have no sound. When I try to read a audio file it makes the program crash etc.

So it's really weird, since Realtek just says that not getting the drivers from the manufacturer will only cause me to loose the special tools and gadgets from the manufacturer (Asus here), but that's not a problem, I just want to upgrade the drivers.

Either it's Asus that messed up or I'm not getting the correct ones from the website. Another weird thing is that inside Everest (a program to get infos on my PC and what's in it), it says my sound card is a "Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]". Also if I look the audio drivers on the asus website for the P5GD1 motherboard (the normal not the "Pro" version) it givres the same name for the audio chipset "ALC 861" so it wouldn't really matter I guess.

Also i'm french, so please excuse my english. Also being french I tried a website that is quite reliable but in french that scans your PC to see what you have and tells you what drivers you need and where to get them, I tried that for the onboard sound and I get the same result: no sound.

If anyone can help that would be great !

So it's really weird, since Realtek just says that not getting the drivers from the manufacturer will only cause me to loose the special tools and gadgets from the manufacturer (Asus here), but that's not a problem, I just want to upgrade the drivers.
Just use the ASUS ones, its very unlikely that there have been any updates for years.

Well on the Asus website the latest are from 2005. From the Realtek the latest are from October 2010 !

No but to be sure I don't have any problems I just wanted to update them.
Obviously not helping.
I wouldn't expect the realtec drivers to work anyway; there is a reason why motherboard manufactures provide their own drivers.
Just go back to your old ones.

Back