TechSpot

Can't use mouse or Keyboard in safe mode

By ynotbme
May 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I tried to update a network controller driver on a homemade XP Computer. I got the fatal blue screen after the NVidia slash screen. It was an nforce driver. Windows would not start. I tried to get into safe mode to do a restore. But, no mouse or keyboard is reading. Is there a way to do a system restore at start up with out going to safe mode? By the way I don't have a XP CD. I do have a product key. HELP you XP Gurus! Oh and it is really hard to get into even safe mode. I saw BIOS once, when pressing the Esc button. But now it just goes to set up. Every F button give me the option of boot menu: F8 or Set up: Delete. But no matter what I hit, it goes into setup. The keyboard works fine in that screen. But as soon as the safe mode boots up. Can't use mouse or keyboard. Someone told me could be motherboard....did I do thaaaat?:eek:
    Again HELP, HELP, HELP !

Thanks, Ynotbme!

2. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,722   +63

You can download a windows 7 ISO onto a USB flash drive or cd or dvd. Contact where you bought your windows 7 and they will give you a link to download the iso. or maybe you can search the web for a ISO and enter your key later. I don't know if you will be able to navigate without a keyboard and mouse, maybe they will work in the windows 7 setup like your thinking.

Good luck!

p.s. I meant windows XP not 7. Iv done it with 7 I don't see why you cant with XP>

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,515   +336

How are the KB+Mouse attached to the system?

Bluetooth or IR will certainly fail in safe mode as the required services can not be started.

You will need USB wired KB+Mouse for this to work.

4. ynotbme

ynotbme TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

Thanks everyone....it was the mobo. It was very old.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.