Car thieves using fake JBL speakers, not keys, to steal vehicles in just minutes

Jimmy2x

Staff
Cutting corners: Past auto theft attempts have involved anything from smashing windows to relaying FOB code sequences. But a rash of bumper and headlight damage has led researchers to a new approach that relies on the vehicle's controller area network (CAN) and using what looks like nothing more than a simple speaker to gain access. And to make matters worse, it takes about two minutes from start to finish.

Sometimes criminals inadvertently pick the wrong target when planning a crime. In this case, car thieves leveraging a new tactic for keyless access and stealing vehicles happened to pick the Toyota SUV of a cybersecurity analyst who specializes in automotive security. And what he found was a tactic that went beyond both simple smash and grab and more complex signal hijacking methods.

Ian Tabor, a cybersecurity and car hacking expert, identified CVE-2023-29389, which says Toyota RAV4 vehicles are capable of automatically trusting messages from other electronic control units (ECUs). By pulling away the bumper to expose the headlight connector, the thief can gain access to the CAN bus, allowing them to send a forged key validation message. Once validated, the thief can start the car and drive off without issue.

After researching the data and communication behavior across the RAV4's CAN bus, Tabor discovered that other ECUs were failing at the same time as the CAN bus errors. The discovery drove Tabor to conduct additional research via YouTube, the dark web, and other sources. Tabor's research resulted in buying and analyzing an emergency start device, which is intended for use by owners or locksmiths when a key is lost, stolen, or otherwise unavailable. Working with another automotive security expert, Ken Tindell, Tabor successfully reverse engineered the emergency start device, developing an understanding of how the device communicated with the Toyota's CAN bus.

Despite being advertised as an emergency start device, the item that Tabor purchased and used was designed to look like a simple JBL portable speaker. According to Tindell, a fake play button on the speaker case is wired into a PIC18F chip. When pressed, a CAN message burst instructs the door ECU to unlock the vehicle's doors. Once unlocked, the thieves unhook the CAN Injector, get into the car, and drive away. Full details of the device, how it works, and how easily (and cheaply) it can be fabricated are available on the Canis Automotive Labs website.

While the attack was successfully replicated on a Toyota RAV4, it's reasonable to believe that a similar attack could occur on other vehicles using the same technology and architecture. Tabor and Tindell have alerted Toyota to the vulnerability in hopes that it can be hardened and no longer exploited. Unfortunately, they have not yet received any acknowledgement or response.

Permalink to story.

Current and future car thieves would most likely be grateful to the researcher and this quite helpful article!!

Chances are the ones who do this professionally already know anyway. So previously a car with a fob that worked on proximity with the car only to unlock it, needed to be in a special pouch to avoid its signal being amplified and redirected from inside a house to the driveway, unlocking the car and allowing it to be stolen. Cars with a push button fob to activate the doors from a distance were immune as the fob wasn’t continuously putting out a signal. But these are just getting in to the electronics and having it away. Poor security.

Current and future car thieves would most likely be grateful to the researcher and this quite helpful article!!
I had that thought too, then I realized the CAN Injector was already available for sale... if the car thieves already had it, maybe it's nice the wider world can now know about it and the car makers pressured into fixing it...

Chances are the ones who do this professionally already know anyway. So previously a car with a fob that worked on proximity with the car only to unlock it, needed to be in a special pouch to avoid its signal being amplified and redirected from inside a house to the driveway, unlocking the car and allowing it to be stolen. Cars with a push button fob to activate the doors from a distance were immune as the fob wasn’t continuously putting out a signal. But these are just getting in to the electronics and having it away. Poor security.
zero day vulnerabilities are worth literal millions. Which leads me to ask, has this been patched yet? It apparently works on other vehicles aswell.

Kind of need some dumb safety feature as well - maybe a welded padlocks to the doors.
Stupid solution aside - Car makers have to give people 3 levels of options.
1st your std proximity fob walk up get in drive away - perfectly fine in many places in the world.

As for experts to gain access - what about time release codes from servers - with auto text alert to owner - Thieves hate waiting - with satellites - you can get code anywhere in world - plus if so isolated you couldn't contact expert anyway - no matter method.

Plus surely stealing will be too risky in future like armed bank robberies - ie too many locator beacons from car

Kind of need some dumb safety feature as well - maybe a welded padlocks to the doors.
Stupid solution aside - Car makers have to give people 3 levels of options.
1st your std proximity fob walk up get in drive away - perfectly fine in many places in the world.

As for experts to gain access - what about time release codes from servers - with auto text alert to owner - Thieves hate waiting - with satellites - you can get code anywhere in world - plus if so isolated you couldn't contact expert anyway - no matter method.

Plus surely stealing will be too risky in future like armed bank robberies - ie too many locator beacons from car
I can think of absolutely no issues that would plague hundreds of millions of 2FA cars being deployed. Nope. None. Especially since batteries never ever go flat.

Install the hidden kill switch or even remote kill switch to turn off the fuel pump when you park. That is always the best method against car thieves. They won't stick around trying to find out why the car does not start.

I have a better security method against this type of attacks: Own no car... nobody can take what you don't have ;)

Can this vulnerability be patched ? Also makes me wonder how many other types of vehicles are also affected/susceptible.

Can this vulnerability be patched ? Also makes me wonder how many other types of vehicles are also affected/susceptible.

It would likely have to be done by the dealer as part of a service, but yes, in theory it can be patched / mitigated. Not quite as easy as say, Windows Update or Steam but there will be a way.

Last edited:
It'll likely require a firmware update done at a dealer, and may take some time to fix. Depends on if the ECU can be told to ignore such a surge and key request.

A lot of people are putting them air tags in their vehicles just in case it gets stolen. If you have the Ring app and get neighborhood notifications you can clearly see that grand theft auto is spiking and in some places I heard as much as 200% if not higher.

Well, for a long time, these chip keys and presence FOBs did make a significant impact in the rates of car theft over the years but now it looks like they're making it easier. I don't think that it really matters though because the ultimate car theft device is still ubiquitous, the tow truck.

Don't believe me? just ask yourself:
"When was the last time I saw a car hooked up to a tow truck and wondered if it was being stolen?"

Unless the car you saw was yours, probably never. The thing is, most (if not all) of us have probably seen a car being stolen by a tow truck at least once or twice in our lives but didn't recognise that it was theft. After all, who questions a tow truck that's just doing what it was theoretically made to do, towing a car?

No amount of on-board tech will ever be able to prevent a car from getting towed because sometimes a car legitimately needs to be towed and so an anti-tow device wouldn't be legal.

Last edited:
Can you even buy a vehicle now that isn't filled with this crap? I would think that would be a great selling point for any automaker .....

Can you even buy a vehicle now that isn't filled with this crap? I would think that would be a great selling point for any automaker .....
I'm just glad that my Veloster's lights have just regular positive/negative wiring without any control modules involved.

Last edited:
I still drive vehicles that require this old fashioned thing called a KEY. And, it has a MANUAL transmission, so that helps as a lot of people jacking vehicles can "drive a clutch".

Another great benefit of everything being connected these days…
All companies are scrambling to put the Next Best Thing in the vehicles (and smart homes). And no time to properly test any of it. Ah, progress.

As someone said in a show I watched: We'll get it out on time, hear the complaints and then do over-the-air updates.

zero day vulnerabilities are worth literal millions. Which leads me to ask, has this been patched yet? It apparently works on other vehicles aswell.

No that would require a recall of nearly 110+ million vehicles for a very lengthy multiple ECU update world wide.

This will never be done.

No that would require a recall of nearly 110+ million vehicles for a very lengthy multiple ECU update world wide.

This will never be done.

Totally for got about Hilux, Lexus, Crown sub-models ... your looking at another 80-100 million cars using the nearly exact same CAN and ECU layout

Even if they patch it, they will include a new security hole in that patch. Because those holes aren't there by accident. Just like in computer software and cellphones, vulnerabilities are added on purpose. To enable easy hacking and control by "authorized" people. But eventually random hackers get to know about them too.

Back