Career path help/opinions please

syde

Thanks for taking the time to read this:)

After much time and research (thankfully) I realized how much more interested I am in the PC Tech department then the IT side. With that being said I was curious/had a few questions I was hoping to get answered:

-I'll be a full-time student soon and going for my associates in "Computer Systems & Network Technology" after reading from a lot of people how certs are (it seems) better then a 4 year degree. Should I be working towards a specific list of certs?
MCSE? etc. other certs I should really be considering?

( I know times are constantly changing in the computer industry so new certs come out here and there )

Should I pick up a side gig program to play around on my free time at night while I'm a student?

Should I consider looking into running multiple OS on my pc or get a couple more cheap PC's for experimentation?

I could keep going but I don't want to sound...hmmmmp like the little kid with to many questions.

thanks again.

Those certificates are good for government jobs, and large organizations which face scrutiny over hiring and promotions. In those cases, you must still be very good in addition to having the Cert.

Having been a Federal administrator over such programs, and then owning four shops in three states, it is my believe that a Cert is worthless. Many of the best people do not have Certs, and too many of the people with certs don't have a clue. I think a great number of shop owners and organizational managers would tell you the same thing. Worthless to have except in the personnel file. Or some place like Computer Squad or Geek Squad or Tech Heros

On top of that, the technology changes way too fast. Three or five or sevenyears from now, you may be out of a job because the technology changes so rapidly. You will tire of this work. You may learn to hate it. You may not be able to afford it if the technology continues to move in its current direction and pay continues to drop.

As an owner, or as a manager of a large program, I would MUCH prefer somebody with a degree... somebody who has a foundation in academics and technology across the board. Someone who is capable of moving up and taking responsibility, while relating to a number of different people and organizations. We want people who help our organization grow... who can write proper English, and speak a second or third language... who can read and analyze tech materials... who can move into technical writing.

But you can always buy or build your own shop and service and stick it on your wall.

But your work on this forum has been impressive. Just don't sell yoourself short.

Thanks for responding with a legitiment comment with your background alongside. Your history with the computer industry makes me take your answers very serious ad I want you to know that and thank you.

I was accepted to MU(Missouri Univeristy) just over a month ago for their Bachelors in Computer Information Systems and have feared that I'd come out of college (just short of the age of 30 due to being in the military for the last 8 years) with a degree that would leave me with no job due to their being someone with a software engineer degree or whatnot.

anyway thanks again for responding and to everyone else I have a very open mind and welcome other comments/opinions/experiences and ideas.

Thanks again.

No, you will do fine... just stay ahead of the technology which you already know changes every four months...
Engineers are more worthless than those people with Certs, most of the time. They don't engineer... they become bureaucrats and we don't need those either.

Also, consider volunteering at a radio or TV station.. the experience is invaluable... or perhaps a company that installs Satellite stuff... The broadest possible experience...
And buy one good book a year instead of six....

Stay on this site and others like it... You want to be conversant with everything going on... as the people you work for will not know anything, and you will have to be able to discuss the technology in words and conversation they can understand...

You get into finance and management, and you lose touch with technology way too fast...

We will see a lot of you, I suspect.

Thanks again for a followup response, I greatly appricate it :)

you are right too as you will be seeing much of me around here ;)

Engineers are more worthless than those people with Certs

OH sure Raybay! i see you have a hatred for those with a preference for a preference of breath fresheners!...fine! i guess the rest of us walking around with tic-tacs are all *****s hmm? .......oh... i guess that's maybe not what you meant.....nevermind.

OH sure Raybay! i see you have a hatred for those with a preference for a preference of breath fresheners!...fine! i guess the rest of us walking around with tic-tacs are all *****s hmm? .......oh... i guess that's maybe not what you meant.....nevermind.

bad troll bad! *poke* take that somewhere else, bad bad little troll!

Back