[Casemod] Cooler Master Cosmos 2 - Project #1

Mister_K

cosmos2furnace.png

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Edit: The color scheme will be red, to match ROG Formula VI, changed it after wanting the above mobo over Gigabyte z87 X OC (WC features of ROG, yes pls! :D)[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Project Name: Furnace[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Why? Well because Haswell CPUs tend to run quite hot, which is great for the winter time ^^[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]The whole color scheme is orange and black/grey as well as the case on its own looks rather like a Furnace.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]System Components:[/FONT]

CASE: Coolermaster Cosmos 2 / MOBO: ROG Formula VI / CPU: i7 4770k / GPU: EVGA 780 3GB / RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz (?) /
/ PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W 80+ GOLD / BOOT: Samsung 840 256GB /

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Outer Design:[/FONT]

cosmos%202%20design.jpg

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Annotation:[/FONT]

cosmos%202%20design%20annotated.jpg

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Thoughts/Suggestions:[/FONT]

To be my first modding project, well at least large one as this.

As for the RAM, I would recommend the new Vengeance Pro (2933 MHz) over the 2400MHz Platinum if you dont care about the cool lights on the Platinum RAM. The Vengeance Pro can come in Red and black, which will be perfect for your color scheme.

Tom Logan had a review of them and looks just outstanding with the mixture of red/silver or red/black mixture of the dimms. The Platinums just look so bulky, you can throw them at something and it will slice it in half kind of a deal.

Anyway Il beging working on this about end of July time and through August. Since it is my first major project, Il probably take my time, don't want to f* it up :D

Thanks for the replies guys :)) If you have suggestions I am open to it.

Tom Logan had a review of them and looks just outstanding with the mixture of red/silver or red/black mixture of the dimms. The Platinums just look so bulky, you can throw them at something and it will slice it in half kind of a deal.

Anyway Il beging working on this about end of July time and through August. Since it is my first major project, Il probably take my time, don't want to f* it up :D

Thanks for the replies guys :)) If you have suggestions I am open to it.

A few months back, you were asking about the 3930K. I think you should wait for the 4930K to be released in September.

It's bit far since I need a machine over august during some downtime to do some rapid video editing + it would be additional 100-250 more for the system, just not patient enough. What seems great is the Haswell-E 8Core but thats next year. I will probably save up for that next while selling the 4770k system to fund the Haswell-e.

Just a giant waiting game and have been waiting since last year to get something ^^

Yeah, I am just like a little kid that can't wait for his Christmas present :D Loving the ROG Formula, it's just hard to hold off any longer ^^

Haha noo, I am going Formula VI and red instead of the orange, just really loving the features of the ROG F* :D

I will most likely start purchasing fans and cabling + PSU sometimes next week and start working on this. Then once Formula VI releases il get rest of the gear together.

Fan blades will be spray painted red, not sure which fans to get yet, probably low noise and only about 9 or so. Put around 4 on the side, 3 top, front bottom and that's pretty much it.

Still not sure whether to go with Dominator Platinums or Corsair Vengeance Pros. The Platinums look just outstanding, heavy, beefy look but the Pros have that awesome red.

I was going to go with Mushkin but not sure yet, most likely will get one of the two above.

Ah I did red as well, I normally change colors to match my rig and parts inside (Last round was Intel Blue). If your want LED fans that are red, try these, they look sick (I have 6 of them :p) Link

In my opinion the Platinums are pretty sick, but if your looking to go red, try the Gskill Trident X. They are very nice, I got a set (The 1866 set with the low timings) and they look sick plus they do have screws to easily remove the heatsink and add your own (IE water Cooled).

Haha noo, I am going Formula VI and red instead of the orange, just really loving the features of the ROG F* :D

I will most likely start purchasing fans and cabling + PSU sometimes next week and start working on this. Then once Formula VI releases il get rest of the gear together.

Fan blades will be spray painted red, not sure which fans to get yet, probably low noise and only about 9 or so. Put around 4 on the side, 3 top, front bottom and that's pretty much it.

Still not sure whether to go with Dominator Platinums or Corsair Vengeance Pros. The Platinums look just outstanding, heavy, beefy look but the Pros have that awesome red.

I was going to go with Mushkin but not sure yet, most likely will get one of the two above.

The silver on the Platinums will clash with the red xD.

...[ ]....[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Project Name: Furnace[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Why? Well because Haswell CPUs tend to run quite hot, which is great for the winter time...[ ]...[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]This seems counter intuitive, by orders of magnitude.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]When you consider the 4 core X 8 thread high end Haswell CPUs have a TDP of a mere 84 watts.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Unless of course you intend overclocking it to something like 6 billion-zillion gigahertzes. In which case, (pun intended), you shouldn't blame your heat issues on Haswell.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Maybe you should go with , "The Ice Chest".[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]OK, so that would indeed s*** all over the red theme, which I am loving.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I have an i3 Sandy, and it would boor a "killawatt" meter to death at idle. It boors the heat monitoring software as well. I use that to check the room temperature...:D [/FONT]

Well the Haswell chips tend to run hotter then its predecessors (exluding any silicon lotto) when above 4Ghz.

I was looking into delidding but firstly Il probably see how the chip OCes without doing the doctors procedure and then attempt doing it. It seemed easy :D

Haha, my room temp is around 20C or so here ^^

PS: In terms of leds, most likely will get ledless fans, il keep the leds to custom lightning, have good idea on running two red light strips down the ribbons (or w/e you would call it) both at the top one, front one and down bottom which I think will illuminate the case quite nicely.

PSU ordered. Does anyone know good place to order cable sleeves or is MDPC the top of the line place to order cable sleeves?

Some additions to the case, quick Photoshop masks. Not sure whether to leave the HDD bays or spray paint them over. I have one more idea for it il put together tnight. Tomorrow is spray paint shopping time ^^

HDD Bay Idea 1
http://I.imgur.com/TrtYOLh.jpg

HDD Bay Idea 2
http://I.imgur.com/XFM5Q2E.jpg

Rubber Pads Idea
http://I.imgur.com/1A7dVVc.jpg

What I will probably do is have 3 different HDD bracket designs and put each individual design on them and see what looks the best. I have some spares anyway ^^

Spray paint test, see what works. I think I need a darker variant of that red. Will wait to get the mobo to match it though, just wanted to play around ^^

HFzcNQX.jpg

H1eA3qB.jpg

leLqwpz.jpg

bTY2xQx.jpg

Painted, very rough and quick job. Just testing tbh ^^

I guess it sort of matches with the mobo :/
ASUS_ROG_Maximus_VI_Formula_with_ROG_Armor.jpg

I like that color looks awesome! I would only go a bit darker if you put a lot of red LEDs because that would help bring a more deep look to the system, but that color you have looks sporty.

Btw, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT BACKPLATE AND CASING for the motherboard!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man, its the formula VI which isn't out yet, iv linked it to compare the spray paint I bought to the mobos colors ^^ I am really only waiting for that until I order my system, don't want no DOA so not ordering yet ^^

That said, if the Formula VI is over £300, il probably pass ^^

PS:

In terms of the HDD bays, which colour design do you think is more ideal? I think the 2nd isn't over the top with red so might go with that one but not sure yet.

PPS:

I won't be adding too much lightning into the case, don't wait it to be a mosquito attraction ^^

Back