Catalyst 12.6 drivers improve performance, plug security hole

By Rick
Jun 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The official release of AMD's Catalyst 12.6 driver has finally hit the scene. As expected, the unified driver features a long list of bug fixes and improvements for users with video cards dating back to the Radeon HD 2400 series.…

Read more
  2. Who the fleck is still playing crysis 2 at all, it's way too short, and it's full of cheaters running rampant completely unchecked in multiplayer that no one seems to ever from the beginning care anything about.

Another paid for PC game ruined by rampant hackers...
  3. I love how everytime I see a video driver update from AMD theres never anything worthwhile being fixed/improved with my hd5770 series card. id like them video playback on youtube that results in poor video fps. also alot of 480p vevo videos lag on youtube, but 360p, 720p and 1080p run fine. Not to mention I have to tone my graphics quality settings down in runescape to be able to run around the grand exchange if its crowded without experiencing lag, however I can run skyrim on full blast with shads and AA off and AF x16 no problems with bethesdas hd texture pack. skyrim runs amazing, runescape lags alot. WHY!?
  4. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 528   +75

You are not going to see many updates for the 5xxx series because its two generations old.
  5. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I so wish they'd just sort out an auto-update tool so it's updated in the background when new drivers are released. Am I alone in this?
  6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,273   +258

As long as there is an option to disable this it would be great.
  7. colinf

colinf Newcomer, in training Posts: 43   +7

I never ever want anything to auto update without my knowledge or action..and especially not amd/ati
  8. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,133   +172

Yes auto update AMD would be fail. Breaks stuff half the time. I only want to update when I have time to rollback.
  9. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

It would make absolutely no difference to rolling back. It wouldn't be hard to implement an auto-update feature that could be rolled back or disabled. I personally find it annoying having to download the new drivers every time. I've not had an issue with installing them yet, so see no cause for concern about having it done automatically.
  10. AMD can't even compile a proper uninstaller with their current drivers, resulting in a lot of their crap left on our systems and (the more tech savvy) users having to use 3rd party software to clean up after. Heck, their still fixing issues dated back to the Radeon HD 2400 days. Don't hold your breath on an auto update tool. In fact, pray they don't come out with one.
  11. TekGun

TekGun TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 156   +11

Actually you just click on the AMD Install Manager > Express Uninstall all AMD software, and that's it everything is removed. So simple even guest trolls can manage it.
  12. Ubwarcher07

Ubwarcher07 Newcomer, in training

"Catalyst 12.6 includes fixes not found in the 12.6 beta, like resolving system hangs after entering sleep mode."

This news came at just the right time. I bought a new video card recently and decided to update my drivers to 12.3-12.4 from 11.2 (if I remember correctly). I then started having all sorts of issue with the computer hanging, bsod, visual corruption, etc. So I tried rolling back to old drivers and it wouldn't "rollback". In the end, I assumed it was a hardware issue and went ahead to RMA my card. I was getting ready to ship my card back tomorrow morning. Looks like I'll give this update a shot and see what happens.

13. Ubwarcher07

Ubwarcher07 Newcomer, in training

I wish it was that simple. What Guest said is actually spot on. Usually after an uninstall, a lot of AMD/ATI files still remain in the registry.
  14. Miguel Nunes

Miguel Nunes Newcomer, in training

No support for my still awesome HD4890. I don't want this to happen again so good bye forever ATi.
  15. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 943   +94

Their is a driver coming this month for 2000, 3000, 4000 cards. Be patient.
  16. Just take a look at your system 32 folder after that express uninstall.Still think it removes everything now?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.