Catalyst 12.8 CAP 3 improves support for Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2

Matthew DeCarlo

Ahead of next week's expected release of the Catalyst 12.9 beta, AMD has updated its existing WHQL driver with a fresh set of Catalyst Application Profiles. Although it's not a major overhaul, Catalyst 12.8 CAP 3 offers a few improvements that are worthwhile if you're playing certain titles including the recently released Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2. The former has received a bug fix that caused texture corruption grass when changing graphics settings on a CrossFire setup, while the latter receives a new CrossFire profile.

Some older titles have also received tweaks. AMD has resolved a flickering problem that arose when World of Warcraft's view distance was set to fair with CrossFire enabled, as well as other CrossFire-related flickering issues in Depth Hunter, an "underwater simulator" that launched earlier this year and is currently vying for a position on Steam; Dirt Showdown; S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat; and War of Roses, an action title that is being developed by indie studio Fatshark and is scheduled to launch on October 2.

Catalyst Downloads
CAP 3 (0.5MB installer for all Radeon users who are already running Catalyst 12.8)
Catalyst 12.8 (sans CAP 3): XP 32-bit | XP 64-bit | Vista/7/8 32-bit | Vista/7/8 64-bit
Catalyst 12.8 for notebooks (again, sans CAP 3): Vista/7/8 32-bit | Vista/7/8 64-bit

That's the extent of this week's CAP 3 update, though it's worth noting that folks who are still running Catalyst 12.6 can look forward to many more improvements when upgrading to 12.8, including up to 25% more performance in Skyrim, 15% in Shogun 2, 10% in Dirt 3, 8% in Crysis Warhead, and 3% to 6% in Crysis 2, Batman: Arkham City, Just Cause 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Battlefield 3. It also enhances single-GPU performance in Torchlight 2, which happens to be launching this Thursday.

Permalink to story.

Just wanted to say using colorful links in middle of post are pretty disturbing and ugly, reminds me of my spams folder.

And also that captcha thingy pretty hard to read, get rid of that :)

You know what? I agree. I didn't realize how awful it looked (I only saw the text markup on the CMS and I didn't look at the published post). I've removed them. Can't do much about the Captcha filter, though. I hate them too.

Back