CD Drive not reading any discs. Can anyone help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a relatively new dell inspiron laptop. I've been using it pretty constantly for the past 2 months.
I'm now trying to upload some of my CDs onto it and the cd drive is not reading anything that I put into it. It makes the spund like it recognises that there is a cd in there, then I can hear it spin a little, say for 5 - 7 seconds, before it makes the same sound as it did when I first put it in. After that - nothing.
Has anybody experienced this and can you offer me any advice?
I have next to no computer knowledge, so I thank you for any help you might be able to give me.
Duncan

Try using one of those cheap CD cleaner kits. They are available at any major supermarket and have instructions printed on the box.

Also, try removing the CD/DVD R/W in the device manager and restarting the computer to see if Windows reinstalls the drive automatically

I want to rule out the simple. Make sure it is not a CD Drive trying to read a DVD. If it is, therse no way to fix it, you have to have a DVD drive.

If you know they have worked before on this drive, do as above, right click My Computer, go to Manage, then Device Manager, expand Disk Drives and uninstall the one currently there and let windows find them on restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back