TechSpot

CD/DVD drive does not read any disks, but will allow boot from disk

By Marce
Dec 12, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I recently built a computer with my friend and everything has been fine until about 3 or 4 days ago when the CD/DVD drive stopped working properly.
    The symptoms are that it will not read any disks regardless of their type i.e. program, video or audio.
    However, the drive is definately receiving power and the Sata cable is connected because I have no trouble booting from the Windows 7 OS disk, as a test.

The drive is also not recognised in 'My Computer' and the properties info gives me the following message, 'Impossible to load peripheral driver for this hardware. Driver could be damaged or missing (Code 39)' (translated from the Italian).

For your info the drive model is an LG GH24NS50.

Thanks.

2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,129

Sounds like to me that you need to uninstall the drivers and then let windows find drivers for it. To do this go to My Computer and right click on the drive and go to properties, the click on the Hardware tab and then click properties at the bottom. A new windows will open and then you click on the Driver tab, the click Uninstall. Then you can restart the computer and windows should find the right drivers for the drive.

3. Marce

Marce TS Rookie Topic Starter

The problem with that is that the drive does not show in My Computer.
    If I go via the Control Panel the option to install or uninstall the driver is not available i.e. it is greyed out.

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Have you checked in "Device Manager" for any evidence of the drive?

5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

6. techsuitor

techsuitor TS Rookie Posts: 145

Yup. Follow lookinaround's link

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.