CD/DVD drive not reading media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

Here's the deal; I have a Toshiba SD-R5272. Every time i put a piece of media in it (doesn't matter whether it's an audio CD, a DVD, a regular CD), nothing happens. It was working fine this morning. The computer froze up and I was forced to manually shut it off and since then, nothing. The drive icon is there in the my computer folder but when i open it, it's empty.. I've checked in the device manager and there are no conflicts. When I click on the properties, it says everything i s working for the drive. The little green light next to the ejector button blinks twice then stops every time i insert a CD/DVD. I have no clue what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Try removing the device in the device manger and reboot and see if windows picks them back up. If they don't you may have something else wrong / file corruption on windows.

You can also try [Run] sfc /checknow to scan and repair all your windows files (may require XP cd) in case some file were hosed when you had to shut down the pc.

jstillion - thanx for the quick reply. I tried remove it via the device manager then rebooting. Windows tells me new hardware has been installed (and the name of the drive) so it is seeing it.

Can I do sfc /checknow without the Windows CD? I'd have no idea how to get it to work as the drive won't recognize any CD. If you can do it wihtout, what do I do? Simply type that in the run box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back