CD/DVD drive (TSSTcorpCD H552D) doesn't work but shows in device manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI PEOPLE,
MY CD/DVD DRIVE ON MY WIN XP HOME SP2 PAVILLION t3310.it PC SHOWS ON DEVICE MANAGER AS OK, BUT DOES NT SHOW OR SPIN WHEN ANY DISC IS INSERTED. I REMEMBER HAVING LOADED NERO 7, THEN EXPRESS BURN SOFTWARE AND NTC CD/DVD CREATOR ON SAME PC. IT WORKED FINE TILL 5DAYS AGO WHEN I TRIED TO BURN SOME VIDEO CONVERTED CLIPS . IT TOOK SO LONG, DID NT BURN AND AFTER THAT MY DEVICE STOPPED WORKING.
AM DESPERATE. I FOLLOWED A LINK ON A SEARCH THAT SENT ME TO THE REGISTRY TO ELIMINATE "UPPERFILTERS/LOWER FILTERS ONLY TO MISTAKINGLY DELETE MY KYBD AND MOUSE.
NOW I'VE DONE A WHOLE NEW REINSTALLATION OF WINDOWS BUT STILL THE PROBLEM PERSISTS.I CHECKED ALL CABLES, EVERYTHING IS INTACT.
IT SPINS WHEN I REBOOT THE PC BUT IT WONT ON ANY CD INSERTION.
PLEASE HELP ME OUT.
THANX.

Despite what the Device Manager says the drive could still be bad. In the Device Manager check under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller to see if any of the controllers have changed to PIO mode instead of the faster DMA or UDMA mode.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133405.html#post788439

no sir. they all read( DMA IF AVAILABLE) AND THE CURRENT TRANSFER MODE [/I]READS: not applicable. none of them is changed.
so where do i go next?
thanx.

The drive itself may have failed. It happens. If you've reinstalled Windows, you must have another optical drive on that PC. If that one still works but this other one doesn't, then I'd say you just need to replace it. They aren't too expensive and they aren't hard to replace.

I'm continually and abundantly unimpressed with TSST drives. I've had 3 and they all had at least one little "quirk". So, if it turns out to be that drive is bad, buy another brand. I pick Pioneer, others here can also offer recommendations based on a wider scope of experience.

The obvious thing here is to install another drive on that exact buss and see what happens.

And now the "captaincranky" part. Making a post in all capital letters is against the websites terms of service. It's sort of like a person is screaming, and hence rude. For myself hey, I'd like to make all my posts in bright red capital letters, but it's character building to ramp it down a notch or two, um, perhaps even three!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back