CD & DVD Drives Have Disappeared

By EdL
Nov 27, 2005
  1. I hope someone can help me. My E & F drives have disappeared from windows explorer. When I go into set-up during the boot-up process the drives are displayed. When I go through My Computer->Properties->Hardware->->Device Manager the DVD/CD Drices have an explaination mark with the following error message: Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41). I have uninstalled the drives, tried them one at a time with the same results - windows recognizes the new hardware, installs driveers and then gives me the following error message: A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware may not work properly. I have also deleted the drivers and reloaded all new ones. Nothing seems to work.

Any assistance is most appreciated.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Uninstall the drivers for the IDE controller and let Windows reinstall those. And/or get the latest version from the mobo maker's website.
  3. Triton

Triton TS Enthusiast Posts: 82

4. EdL

EdL TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, but I have removed the ide controllers and had windows recognize them and reinstall but the results are the same. I'm currently trying to get the Lite-On SOHW-1693S working. I figure if I can get one working, I should be able to get the other one also. The manufacturers web-site has no driver or firmfare to download.

5. EdL

EdL TS Rookie Topic Starter

You are the man. Deleting the Lower & Upper limits worked like a charm.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.