CD & DVD Drives stopped working

By JJM
Sep 28, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Both my drives have stopped. Power is still connected as the drawers open & shut & lights flash. I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling in Device Mgr, and rebooting. Disconnected cable & restarted. Then reconnected to see if system will recognise as "new hardware".
    I have tried Microsoft's instructions & deleted Upper Filters & Lower Filters from the registry. I have been to the Dell help site but the two models I have which came with the Dell system are not listed. I have searched this forum for a solution but all to no avail. Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Dell Dimension 4700
    Windows XP Home SP3
    CD Samsung SC-148A
    DVD+RW NEC ND-3100AD
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. JJM

JJM Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 35

Thanks Kimsland
    I have downloaded XP CD-DVD-Fix & used to no effect
    On 28/9 I then followed all the instructions in "New Preliminary Removal Instructions"
    Then by right clicking drive c in My Comp and entering "Log" in the search box I thought I found the logs but by repeating that process today 29/9 they appear to be missing.
    Do you think I have lost them or can they be located elsewhere - will I need to do all the scans again?

nb
    I have found Super Anti Spyware log on drive c but I cannot figure out how to post it in this log - will it copy & paste?
  4. shadowfox

shadowfox Newcomer, in training Posts: 60

did ur cd drive dissapear from the my computer
    try connecting the Ide cable or SATA cable properly, try switching it with a working cable
    well if it still does not work
    double check it by installing it on ur friends p.c
    if it works there, then theres got to be some problem somewhere in the p,c
  5. kimsland

If you just attach the HJT log as an attachment (ie using this symbol [​IMG], located in the Reply toolbar)

Actually before you do Attach [​IMG] the log, do these 3 things:
    1. Reset Internet Explorer Settings: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737/en-us
    2. Run CCleaner
    3. Run Startup Control Panel, and untick as many not required shortcut startups as possible

Then Restart, and then attach the HJT log
    Doing this, will significantly reduce the log in size, making it a lot easier to read
  6. JJM

Right I have done all that except Start Up Control Panel - I could not find any boxes to untick. I reset IE & then it prompted me to download an SP2 & Norton prompted me to turn on the anti-phishing device again. I've download & run CCleaner. On 28/9 I found the log for Super Anti Spy by right clicking Drive C & entering the word log in the search box which produced View attachment 36221

View attachment 36222

View attachment 36223 395 entries - now today 30/9 it has disappeared again along with the ones for HJT & Malaware. I have just found a log though in Super Anti Spy. Is there a way I can find these logs?
    I will now try to att log for S.A.S.
    Would you believe I think I managed to find & even to att them!
    I look fwd to your comments/assistance & I am very grateful to you
    JJM
  7. kimsland

Well because there are sooo many startups, I think you forgot to check every tab in Startup Control Panel
    I would suggest to re-run it, check all tabs, and untick as many un-needed startups as possible (usually all, except Antivirus)

Regarding Norton Antivirus.
    Without a doubt this is the most horrible Antivirus that I know of
    Why?
    It is a resource hog
    It cannot scan files in use
    It does not work in Safe Mode
    It actually misses Viruses (incredible!)
    When you uninstall it, there are still more Norton programs to uninstall
    When you uninstall all of Norton Antivirus, there are still Norton startups happening
    When you uninstall Norton fully + all startups, there are still files and registry installed
    When you uninstall Norton it corrupts, 50% of the time, requiring the Norton removal tool

And here's the best one yet, and 100% true, in all aspects
    If you use a free Antivirus like Avast or Avira
    You will be better protected! And your system will run better!

Oh and remove these from HJT log: (tick and fix in HJT)
  8. JJM

Thanks again Kimsland
    Yes I had a lot of trouble the last time I uninstalled Norton especially the Go Back & when I used the Norton Uninstaller the comp crashed completely.
    OK - I've unticked the 4 itemsyou mentioned in HJT & unticked nearly all the items in all the tabs in Startup Control Panel
  9. kimsland

Goback is another horror
    It creates this huge non-removable backup on your HardDrive, and also slows down your computer
    The only way to remove the this "huge non-removable backup" is to use the Goback bootup commands and get into Goback's settings and locate where it says to fully remove or disable it.
    Note: just uninstalling Goback from Add/Remove programs will not work! (sounds a bit like Norton Antivirus!)

So, you're deciding to keep them on hey?

Anyway how's it running (with Norton :) ) at the moment?
  10. JJM

Everything seems to be running ok but I still have the original problem. The CD & DVD Drives are not working. When I r/click Drive C, tab hardware & highlight each drive in turn it says windows cannot load Device Driver - Code 39. I have followed m/soft instructions & deleted upper & lower filters in registry.
    Do I need to uninstall Windows & start again?
  11. kimsland

Go to Device Manager
    Remove any CD/DVD Drives
    Then remove the IDE ATA Controllers
    Then restart
    Allow the devices to re-install again automatically, using standard drivers

If that doesn't work
    You could try removing Norton and GoBack
    Restart
    Remove any CD/DVD Drives
    Then click on Start->Run-> sfc /scannow
    And allow Windows to repair any issues with the system
    Then restart
    Allow the devices to re-install again automatically, using standard drivers

Did it work?
    Note: I favour the 2nd option :)
  12. JJM

OK I'll try that tomorrow in daylight
    Exactly how do I remove the IDE ATA Controllers - is it a button in Device Mgr, uninstall or a physical disconnection of plugs inside? Pls excuse my lack of technical knowledge.
    If that does not work I will have to remove Norton (I did not install Go Back again after all the trouble I had last time) I know you & many others hate Norton but how are they allowed to be the only or main option on display in all the comp shops? Where's the competition?
  13. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

Norton is the main money maker that is why a lot of shops have it displayed.

14. kimsland

Go to Device Manager (Start->Run-> devmgmt.msc)
    Click on the plus sign + on IDE ATA Controllers
    When the submenu opens, right click on the Controller
    Select Remove or uninstall

You can then restart, allowing the standard drivers to re-install
    Or go here, and update all your Drivers : Dell Drivers
  15. JJM

OK - Device Mgr, turned off IDE ATA Controllers, logged off, restart, system recognised new hardware & actually quoted my CD & DVD Drives by name but failed to find drivers

Tried dell support site - updated 1st 4 options - BIOS/CHIPSET/MODEM/DELL DIGNOSTICS UTILITY. CD & DVD Drives are not on the options list so I assume that's because they are not Dell parts.

Switched off every option in Norton that I could switch off, scf /scannow. Instruction: Insert your Windows XP CD now - Result: "You have inserted the wrong CD or your CD Drive is not working"! After Norton & then the system froze Norton advised that Intrusion Prevention is switched off, which it is not, and now shows a constant red warning. Every time I tamper with Norton it gives me trouble. I will ditch it when this is all over.
  16. Circuit

Circuit Newcomer, in training Posts: 22

the F-word

If it was me, I would back-up all my important docs, pics and music, then format and reinstall windows. But thats me
  17. kimsland

18. tw0rld

tw0rld TechSpot Maniac Posts: 609   +6

Hey, all just having a look see, and thought I'd make a contribution

Dell drivers are not bundled with windows, therefore you should go to their website as suggested by Kimsland and download them there.
    If you are gonna remove Norton you should decide on what AV program you are going to replace it with.
    Hope things work out.
  19. JJM

I've been to the Dell site & the Drivers are NOT there. DELL Drivers are there but I have a Samsung CD & a NEC DVD Drive. I have also been to these manufacturer's sites but I still cannot find the drivers
  20. kimsland

Update the drives firmware

Download Disc Info
    Select your drive (may already be selected)
    Click on View
    Click on Firmware Updates
    Click Search

This will either take you to another webpage with your updated firmware, or directly to your firmware updated file

Once the firmware has been found for your drive, please update it. (This can be critical, as the incorrect firmware can stop your drive from working, so make sure)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.