CD & DVD Drives stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJM

Both my drives have stopped. Power is still connected as the drawers open & shut & lights flash. I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling in Device Mgr, and rebooting. Disconnected cable & restarted. Then reconnected to see if system will recognise as "new hardware".
I have tried Microsoft's instructions & deleted Upper Filters & Lower Filters from the registry. I have been to the Dell help site but the two models I have which came with the Dell system are not listed. I have searched this forum for a solution but all to no avail. Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Dell Dimension 4700
Windows XP Home SP3
CD Samsung SC-148A
DVD+RW NEC ND-3100AD

Thanks Kimsland
I have downloaded XP CD-DVD-Fix & used to no effect
On 28/9 I then followed all the instructions in "New Preliminary Removal Instructions"
Then by right clicking drive c in My Comp and entering "Log" in the search box I thought I found the logs but by repeating that process today 29/9 they appear to be missing.
Do you think I have lost them or can they be located elsewhere - will I need to do all the scans again?

nb
I have found Super Anti Spyware log on drive c but I cannot figure out how to post it in this log - will it copy & paste?

did ur cd drive dissapear from the my computer
try connecting the Ide cable or SATA cable properly, try switching it with a working cable
well if it still does not work
double check it by installing it on ur friends p.c
if it works there, then theres got to be some problem somewhere in the p,c

I have found Super Anti Spyware log on drive c but I cannot figure out how to post it in this log - will it copy & paste?
If you just attach the HJT log as an attachment (ie using this symbol
attach.gif
, located in the Reply toolbar)

Actually before you do Attach
attach.gif
the log, do these 3 things:
1. Reset Internet Explorer Settings: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737/en-us
2. Run CCleaner
3. Run Startup Control Panel, and untick as many not required shortcut startups as possible

Then Restart, and then attach the HJT log
Doing this, will significantly reduce the log in size, making it a lot easier to read

Right I have done all that except Start Up Control Panel - I could not find any boxes to untick. I reset IE & then it prompted me to download an SP2 & Norton prompted me to turn on the anti-phishing device again. I've download & run CCleaner. On 28/9 I found the log for Super Anti Spy by right clicking Drive C & entering the word log in the search box which producedView attachment 36221

View attachment 36222

View attachment 36223 395 entries - now today 30/9 it has disappeared again along with the ones for HJT & Malaware. I have just found a log though in Super Anti Spy. Is there a way I can find these logs?
I will now try to att log for S.A.S.
Would you believe I think I managed to find & even to att them!
I look fwd to your comments/assistance & I am very grateful to you
JJM

Right I have done all that except Start Up Control Panel - I could not find any boxes to untick.
Well because there are sooo many startups, I think you forgot to check every tab in Startup Control Panel
I would suggest to re-run it, check all tabs, and untick as many un-needed startups as possible (usually all, except Antivirus)

Regarding Norton Antivirus.
Without a doubt this is the most horrible Antivirus that I know of
Why?
It is a resource hog
It cannot scan files in use
It does not work in Safe Mode
It actually misses Viruses (incredible!)
When you uninstall it, there are still more Norton programs to uninstall
When you uninstall all of Norton Antivirus, there are still Norton startups happening
When you uninstall Norton fully + all startups, there are still files and registry installed
When you uninstall Norton it corrupts, 50% of the time, requiring the Norton removal tool

And here's the best one yet, and 100% true, in all aspects
If you use a free Antivirus like Avast or Avira
You will be better protected! And your system will run better!

Oh and remove these from HJT log: (tick and fix in HJT)
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')

Thanks again Kimsland
Yes I had a lot of trouble the last time I uninstalled Norton especially the Go Back & when I used the Norton Uninstaller the comp crashed completely.
OK - I've unticked the 4 itemsyou mentioned in HJT & unticked nearly all the items in all the tabs in Startup Control Panel

Goback is another horror
It creates this huge non-removable backup on your HardDrive, and also slows down your computer
The only way to remove the this "huge non-removable backup" is to use the Goback bootup commands and get into Goback's settings and locate where it says to fully remove or disable it.
Note: just uninstalling Goback from Add/Remove programs will not work! (sounds a bit like Norton Antivirus!)

So, you're deciding to keep them on hey?

Anyway how's it running (with Norton :) ) at the moment?

Everything seems to be running ok but I still have the original problem. The CD & DVD Drives are not working. When I r/click Drive C, tab hardware & highlight each drive in turn it says windows cannot load Device Driver - Code 39. I have followed m/soft instructions & deleted upper & lower filters in registry.
Do I need to uninstall Windows & start again?

Go to Device Manager
Remove any CD/DVD Drives
Then remove the IDE ATA Controllers
Then restart
Allow the devices to re-install again automatically, using standard drivers

If that doesn't work
You could try removing Norton and GoBack
Restart
Remove any CD/DVD Drives
Then click on Start->Run-> sfc /scannow
And allow Windows to repair any issues with the system
Then restart
Allow the devices to re-install again automatically, using standard drivers

Did it work?
Note: I favour the 2nd option :)

OK I'll try that tomorrow in daylight
Exactly how do I remove the IDE ATA Controllers - is it a button in Device Mgr, uninstall or a physical disconnection of plugs inside? Pls excuse my lack of technical knowledge.
If that does not work I will have to remove Norton (I did not install Go Back again after all the trouble I had last time) I know you & many others hate Norton but how are they allowed to be the only or main option on display in all the comp shops? Where's the competition?

Exactly how do I remove the IDE ATA Controllers - is it a button in Device Mg

Go to Device Manager (Start->Run-> devmgmt.msc)
Click on the plus sign + on IDE ATA Controllers
When the submenu opens, right click on the Controller
Select Remove or uninstall

You can then restart, allowing the standard drivers to re-install
Or go here, and update all your Drivers : Dell Drivers

OK - Device Mgr, turned off IDE ATA Controllers, logged off, restart, system recognised new hardware & actually quoted my CD & DVD Drives by name but failed to find drivers

Tried dell support site - updated 1st 4 options - BIOS/CHIPSET/MODEM/DELL DIGNOSTICS UTILITY. CD & DVD Drives are not on the options list so I assume that's because they are not Dell parts.

Switched off every option in Norton that I could switch off, scf /scannow. Instruction: Insert your Windows XP CD now - Result: "You have inserted the wrong CD or your CD Drive is not working"! After Norton & then the system froze Norton advised that Intrusion Prevention is switched off, which it is not, and now shows a constant red warning. Every time I tamper with Norton it gives me trouble. I will ditch it when this is all over.

the F-word

If it was me, I would back-up all my important docs, pics and music, then format and reinstall windows. But thats me

Hey, all just having a look see, and thought I'd make a contribution

Dell drivers are not bundled with windows, therefore you should go to their website as suggested by Kimsland and download them there.
If you are gonna remove Norton you should decide on what AV program you are going to replace it with.
Hope things work out.

I've been to the Dell site & the Drivers are NOT there. DELL Drivers are there but I have a Samsung CD & a NEC DVD Drive. I have also been to these manufacturer's sites but I still cannot find the drivers

Update the drives firmware

Download Disc Info
Select your drive (may already be selected)
Click on View
Click on Firmware Updates
Click Search

This will either take you to another webpage with your updated firmware, or directly to your firmware updated file

Once the firmware has been found for your drive, please update it. (This can be critical, as the incorrect firmware can stop your drive from working, so make sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back