CD-ROM and itunes trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom26gr8kids

Earlier today I couldn't even get my CD-ROM to run, now we downloaded a new driver and it is running, but everytime I try to import a song from a CD into itunes it freezes up itunes. Sometimes it will start importing the first song, but says that it will take 23 minutes, which I know is way too long. We have the newest version of itunes which we just downloaded today. There is no other music in it at this point.

Also, when we put a CD in and try to import it to itunes our task manager says that the CPU processes/usage is 100%. Can anyone tell me what might be going wrong. I tried to find this on itunes support, but it suggested changing the import settings, and mine were already set to the correct specifications.

I would look in the Device Manager and check under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and see if any controllers have reverted to the slower PIO mode from DMA or UDMA mode. If so, change it back. Otherwise, the CD drive might be bad. They are inexpensive and usually easy to replace.

IDE controllers

The CD isn't bad, we checked that yesterday when this first started happening. The IDE controllers don't seem to have reverted to the slower mode, however, we have had trouble with several drivers since we installed our new hard drive. I am wondering if perhaps installing an updated driver for the IDE controller will fix this problem. Is there a link to a download for the IDE controllers?

I didn't mean the CD itself. The optical drive might be bad. They don't last forever.

CD

I just checked and I can rip a CD from the drive into my Windows Media Player...so does that mean that the optical drive is okay? Is there a reason I can't do the same in itunes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back