TechSpot

cd-rom devices listed under "unknown"

By BrownPaper
Nov 6, 2003
  1. i was looking through device manager today when i noticed that my two cd-rom devices are listed under "unknown" in device manager. both used to be listed under cd-rom (or whatever it is used to be). both of my cd drives still work. i just remember doing normal stuff like winamp, games, etc. it is pretty strange.

i have tried removing both drives from device manager (also from safe mode). uninstalled the drivers. physically reinstalled the drives again. only installed one drive or the other. tried a different ide slot. used a different ide cable. the latest drivers for both of my cd drives are from the windows xp cd. it is a minor annoyance but i'm running out of idea to make my cd drives more normal. please, does anyone know what's up with my computer?!!! :eek:

Partial specs
    CD Drives
    -Sony CRX300E
    -Generic 20x10 CD-R/RW

OS
    -Windows XP Pro SP1

rest of my specs are in my profile. thanks.

2. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 467

well i fixed my problem by finally deciding to repair my windows installation. it did the job and now my computer recognizes my drives as dvd and cd drives. it is strange how a computer can just bug out sometimes.

3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

That's a tough one to fix sometimes.. And all of the times I've seen it, it hasn't been repairable by using a system repair.

There are some registry settings you can delete that usually fix the problem (or make it worse) ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.