CD-ROM drive not recognized... running Windows ME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've been trying to fix my mom's computer for a week or two now. The CD-ROM drive stopped working awhile back. It doesn't show under "my computer" and it wasn't listed under device manager in systems from the control panel either when I checked that.

I'm not sure if this is a driver malfunction or what. This computer was purchased from Gateway and I tried going to their site to locate a new driver for the cd-rom but I couldn't find one. I am completely stumped as to what I should do here. I'm not a techie at all when it comes to computer hardware.

I can tell you that the cd-rom drive tray does open and close on it's own and if I put an audio cd in it the "disc in" light stays on steady green so I know it's not a power issue.

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this thing?

thanks,
David

Welcome to Techspot!
Boot the computer into the bios screens and confirm that the CD is recognized there (the bios must recognize the drive before the O/S will). If it is not , you can try checking connective wires in the case are seated properly & jumpers set correctly.
If this does not correct the problem It may be that the drive is just gone bad.It would be good to confirm this by putting the drive into another computer.
Drivers for cd roms are native to the O/S ,but most Cd writers have Firmware files that sometimes need updating.
Get back to us as to how things worked out.

I booted into bios and I didn't see CD-ROM there except under the part where you specify what drive the computer boots from.

I went into the control panel, and then to add new hardware and installed some cd-rom controller there (which wasn't compatible with the cd-rom drive in this pc lol)... but for a short period the D: drive did show up under my computer again, but once I rebooted it wasn't there anymore.

I'm gonna shut this thing down now and check the connections inside the case... although I'm sure everything is intact since we never move the computer.

Be back soon.
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back