CD-ROM Reading Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusthazard

Howdy! Okay... Gottanother problem here. I have cleanly reformatted and setup my girlfriend's MicronPC with Windows 98 1st Edition. My problem is that the CD-ROM's are having problems reading many discs properly. This machine is equipped with a Micron "Presto" motherboard and has a HP CD-Writer 7200i on secondary Master and a Songy CD-ROM CDU701 as secondary Slave. What could be the problem? I have installed the Intel IDE INF drivers and attempted to enable DMA on all the drives through the Device Manager but the only one that refuses to stay checked (DMA enabled) is the CDU701.

Video: Riva128ZX with original factory drivers.

Sound: Working with original factory drivers.

Motherboard: Presto Motherboard.

I'm at a loss for what to do... What are some things I can check when I go over to her house tomorrow?

My Thoughts and Possibilities that I have not looked at yet because of time restraints (saving for tomorrow):

1) Dirty/Dusty IDE connectors. Will vaccum them.

2) Special drivers I need? (help me on this one, thanks.)

3) Some OS fields incorrectly configured? (help me on this one, thanks.)

Thank you!

Have you make sure that CDs are not scratch? Some CD-Drivers are very picky on which disc they can read. How old is the drive?
It may be a sign that the drive is faulty and you might need to replave it. Btw, try going through the Techspot CD-Drive tweak in our Guide section, it might help uyou to solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back