TechSpot

CD-RW confused with CD-ROM

By slitty
Mar 13, 2005
  1. Hi!

I am running windows 98 and have both a CD-ROM and a CD-RW. Until recently they both worked fine, I could read CDs with both and burn with the CD-RW. However, do to some missing configuration files or something I was forced to reinstal windows, without reformatting my hardrive. As you would imagine, alot of programs stopped working along with my CD-RW.

Basically, the problem is that in my computer it is displayed as a CD-ROM drive instead of a CD-RW.

It also cant "see" blank CDs and burning software like Nero or Roxio can't detect it.

Windows seems to detect it just fine in both my computer and Control Panel-System.

Is there any way to fix this problem... I already tried deleting the CD-RW and letting plug-and-play find it again, I lost the CD that came with the CD-RW but I dont think it mattered all that much. There seem to be few posted solutions for win xp and this problem that involve registry editing, a tried a few of those but just couldn't find the win xp keys in win98.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

2. fishhookz

fishhookz TS Rookie Posts: 79

With 98, it does matter if you have the driver CD. 98 is dated and doesn't have all the basic drivers. I think MS stopped supporting 98. It doesn't hurt to try Win. Update.

Also, google your burner's model # for drivers.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.