CD-RW confused with CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I am running windows 98 and have both a CD-ROM and a CD-RW. Until recently they both worked fine, I could read CDs with both and burn with the CD-RW. However, do to some missing configuration files or something I was forced to reinstal windows, without reformatting my hardrive. As you would imagine, alot of programs stopped working along with my CD-RW.

Basically, the problem is that in my computer it is displayed as a CD-ROM drive instead of a CD-RW.

It also cant "see" blank CDs and burning software like Nero or Roxio can't detect it.

Windows seems to detect it just fine in both my computer and Control Panel-System.

Is there any way to fix this problem... I already tried deleting the CD-RW and letting plug-and-play find it again, I lost the CD that came with the CD-RW but I dont think it mattered all that much. There seem to be few posted solutions for win xp and this problem that involve registry editing, a tried a few of those but just couldn't find the win xp keys in win98.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

With 98, it does matter if you have the driver CD. 98 is dated and doesn't have all the basic drivers. I think MS stopped supporting 98. It doesn't hurt to try Win. Update.

Also, google your burner's model # for drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back