CD RW Drive Inconsistency: It always shows up, but will not always read or burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs:
HP Pavillion
Intel Celeron 1200 MHz Processor
128 MB RAM
15 GB free Hard disk space left; Hard drive C: and CD RW Drive D: as masters on 2 different IDE cables.
Original Configuration: Hard Disk was C: , CD-ROM Drive was D: (master), and CD RW Drive was E: (slave of D: )

I disconnected the CDROM drive and left the CDRW drive as the master, mainly because they were both connected on the same IDE controller, I was getting intermittent problems in both drives, and I figured that the problem might be memory based(lack thereof). I didn't need 2 CD drives anyway, so I did it in order to free up resources, figuring that maybe that would make my CD RW drive work right. However, I continue to get the same inconsistency. Whatever the configuration, both drives would show up in Device Manager and My Computer; however, whether they would read, play, or burn CD's was the mystery. It will not even read the newer CD's when problems arise. Sometimes it will start working and within 10 minutes or so, it will stop. The drivers show up under Properties as working properly. I've even went into Properties and clicked on Uninstall and rebooted, but still I get the same problem. I've got antivirus, spyware/adware, and malicious solution software and do use it. I've also restored my backups just in case the registry might have become damaged. I've also checked the connection to make sure they were secure and they are. Can you please help me?:confused:

when you uninstalled what did you uninstall? the drive or the IDE channel itself under IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers?

Hopefully he just uninstalled the drive, not the IDE channel!

Uninstall the drive(s) again in Device Manager. Then run a Registry cleaner program. (you find one on TechSpot under downloads). Turn-off computer, unplug CD drive, reboot. Confirm CD drive(s) is/are not there. Turn-off comp, reconnect CD and be ready to install your drivers again.

Just a response to your response - CD RW Inconsistency

Yes, it was the drive and not the controller that I uninstalled. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try what you said and get back to ya'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back