CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive with SATA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

After surfing around for a while, I came across this little gem. Its the XA52P - 52x CD-R Writing / 24x CD-RW Rewriting/ 52x CD-ROM Reading / 16x DVD-ROM reading - and with a SATA connection! AFAIK this is the first combo drive with SATA and I don't even believe I've really seen even a regular CD-RW or DVD-ROM with SATA yet - certainly never touched one.

The shape of drives to come here.

Hopefully with the introduction of more CD/DVD devices supporting SATA, motherboard makers will start putting up to 8 SATA ports on a motherboard. Two ports just doesn't cut it.

Wow cool!! Yeah hopefully this will encourage the new SATA generation to evolve a big quicker.

Also tark, i think 2 is fine, most people arent going to have more then 1 harddrive, and with 2 ports you got room for a 2nd SATA HD.. and considering there is no floppy/cdrom SATA drives, I think two is good.

Looks like a waste of a SATA port to me. ;)

Just kidding, although the bandwidth really is overkill for an optical drive. Then again, sure beats those big IDE cables!

Yeah Plextor are a really innovative and quick-off-the-mark company, I would not be surprised if they were the first with a SATA CD-ROM / DVD-ROM drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back