CDR Prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrEoZ

hi there..

if u saw my thread @ video section, then i 'solved' the prob.
the prob is that the IDE CDR/RW (NEC NR9100+) has a conflict or prob with the motherboard and/or video card.
it's not both cds and when i disable it the pc works fine.

k..

this is the prob -

after i shutdown my pc and power it on, the bios loads (i have a dell motheroard intel based) the light on both cds starts to blink but instead of disappearing (in a normal situation or after a reboot / reset) the light stays on (not blinking) on the CDR/RW.
as if it's not responding.
power is getting to it (i can see the light) but when i even try to eject the cd tray it doesn't respond.
if i do the same thing on the CD-Rom (Samsung SC-148) the tray ejects and also there's no blinking light.

i'd like to know if there's anything i can do about it, do i need to change firmware, change cables / jumpers (i already did - jumper is set on both as 'CS - cable select'), change the cdr/rw...

i contacted dell about my original prob and they didn't tell me anything new that i didn' t know..

so.. i'm turning to the 'experts' on this board... help me!

Check all your connections - the IDE cables and such.

Set the top drive to master and the bottom drive to slave.

Also, enter your BIOS and see if it detects the drives.

As Veh suggested try Master and slave instead of the dell standard CS. I have a old dell that used that setup it gave me fits during upgrades so I finally set the DVD and the CDRW to master and slave, never had anymore problems after that.

Originally posted by iss
...I finally set the DVD and the CDRW to master and slave, never had anymore problems after that.

The only problem you could run into doing this setup with them on the same cable is that if you want to burn a CD from a CD in the DVD player you will have a slow down. Because the cable can't transmit and recieve from each device quickly.

That is why it is a good idea to have your CD drives on different ribbons.

But I suggest setting them to either master or slave...if you are going to be in the case installing them, why not take a few seconds and change the jumpers?

The only problem you could run into doing this setup with them on the same cable is that if you want to burn a CD from a CD in the DVD player you will have a slow down. Because the cable can't transmit and recieve from each device quickly.

I dont raid so the only other option I would have is hooking one of the drives to the same ribbon with the hard drive and I am not a big fan of having CDroms on the same IDE as my hard drive. also I seldo if ever do a disc to disc copy. most disc I copy I have copied to the hard drive then burned I find the results much better that way.

well m8s..

i already changed the jumper settings and that didn't help..

i'll try to do that again but i think it's a power prob with the cdr itself

the dell pc uses a special cable (as said by peeps on their support forum - not dell 'officials') that works best using CS

i also flashed my bios, ran the ide configuration utility thing in it and nothing worked..

i called their support (before i 'sovled' the prob) and they didn't know what to tell me..

the cdr was supplied from dell too and i have a special warranty for it so i guess i'll call them and tell them to replace it..

also.. do u think a firmware upgrade could help?

the cdr is working fine - burning @ 40x in about 2mins, reading is perfect.
i can't seem to figure the damn prob!

could it still be the PSU?

i talked to dell's support and they told me that they supply geforce 4mx 440 cards with their pcs using the same standard psu as mine so i'm not sure this is the cause..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back